Steph asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 10 years ago

Best way to store cut vegetables?

I am going camping Saturday through Tuesday and we are bringing a variety of vegetables to eat raw and to cook over the fire. To help save time and energy I would like to precut the veggies that we are going to be put on kabobs. What is the best way to store tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, red potatoes, and onions that have already been cut?

Favorite Answer

Vegetables

Vegetables dipped in hummus can be a nice appetizer while you're cooking dinner on a camp stove. Bring along celery, carrots, radishes, cucumber or peppers to eat raw. You can pack whole or cut vegetables in the cooler and use them in a campfire meal. Treat vegetables as you would at home; keep them in the cooler unless you normally would leave them at room temperature (like potatoes). To cut down on prep time while camping, make vegetable and tofu kebabs ahead of time or prepare vegetable and cheese sandwiches and stick them in the cooler.

------------------------------------------------------

Cut up the vegetables. If transporting for camping use, store each ingredient (including the pats of butter) in either a zippered plastic bag that can be cleaned and reused or a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid. Place them in a camping-quality cooler (like the Coleman brand) with ice.

Source(s): PP

I would use an individual plastic container (tupperware - rubbermaid). In a cooler a plastic bag will get smashed. Tomatoes and mushrooms will be ruined. If you must cut the potatoes prior to the camping trip, they are going to need to be kept fresh in water or they will turn brown.

Good luck!

I actually did this today with broccoli, carrots and a potato because we are going to a park to go grilling, actually, today, incidentally.

I just put them all (each veggie) in their own Ziploc-type baggies, push as much air as you can out of them, and close them up. Then i would just store them in a cooler near cold as much as possible and leave it at that. Take them out of the refrigerator at the last minute when you go to leave.

i went a step further than that to keep them separate and then put all those baggies in a larger, gallon-sized baggie just to keep them separate from the rest of the food, and then got as much air as i could out of THAT bag, but that's up to you.

i think the main thing is that they stay airtight and cold or as cold as you can keep them so they don't start turning brown. Don't leave them out in the open or away from the refrigeration -- do that as little as you can possibly manage.

If you have the space, you could also put them in a Rubbermaid small lunch-type container as well. We don't have the space, so I'm not doing that, but you could if you have the space. The great thing about bags is that you can kind of fit them in funny shapes and fit them in sometimes tight-space coolers, whereas a square plastic box is what it is. And there will be probably less air in the bag, depending on how full you would fill up the plastic container.

Source(s): Tons of camping and grilling in my lifetime.