How did Moses write the first five books of the Bible?

When there were no alphabets nor writing systems in existence in Moses' time?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Scribe: a journalist: a writer

Writing & musical devices were started centuries before the birth of Moses.

Technology did exist during that period.

King James Version Bible

2 Peter Chapter 1

2. Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

Genesis Chapter 5

18. And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch:

Hebrews Chapter 11

5. By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

[This is the 2nd Enoch]

Genesis Chapter 5

24. And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for God took him.

Jude Chapter 1

14. And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

The Book of Enoch: Chapter 2

1. Behold, he comes with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon them, and destroy the wicked, and reprove all the carnal for everything which the sinful and ungodly have done, and committed against him.

The Book of Enoch: Chapter 12

4. And behold the Watchers called me Enoch the scribe.

The Book of Enoch: Chapter 15

1. Then addressing me, He spoke and said, Hear, neither be afraid, O righteous Enoch, you scribe of righteousness: approach hither, and hear my voice. Go, say to the Watchers of heaven, who have sent you to pray for them, You ought to pray for men, and not men for you.

The Book of Enoch: Chapter 13

1. Then Enoch, passing on, said to Azazyel: You shalt not obtain peace. A great sentence is gone forth against you. He shall bind you;

2. Neither shall relief, mercy, and supplication be yours, on account of the oppression which you have taught;

3. And on account of every act of blasphemy, tyranny, and sin, which you have discovered to the children of men.

4. Then departing from him I spoke to them all together;

5. And they all became terrified, and trembled;

6. Beseeching me to write for them a memorial of supplication, that they might obtain forgiveness; and that I might make the memorial of their prayer ascend up before the God of heaven; because they could not themselves thenceforwards address him, nor raise up their eyes to heaven on account of the disgraceful offence for which they were judged.

7. Then I wrote a memorial of their prayer and supplications, for their spirits, for everything which they had done, and for the subject of their entreaty, that they might obtain remission and rest.

Genesis Chapter 4

17. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

[This was the 1st Enoch. It is hard to build a city without knowing how to write. ]

21. And his brother's name [was] Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

22. And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain [was] Naamah.

Source(s): The Book of Enoch with Commentary http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fallen-Angels-and... The King James Version Bible http://search.barnesandnoble.com/King-James-Versio...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Excellent Question....

The Bible, of which Genesis is one, are to be found often from the time of Moses’ successor, Joshua, onward. Moses’ writership has never been questioned by the Jews. The Christian Greek Scriptures make frequent mention of Moses as the writer of “the law,” the crowning testimony being that of Jesus Christ. Moses wrote at God’s direct command and under His inspiration.—Ex. 17:14; 34:27; Josh. 8:31; Dan. 9:13; Luke 24:27, 44.

Some skeptics say, But how were Moses and his predecessors able to write? Was not writing a later human development? Writing evidently had its start early in human history, perhaps before the Deluge of Noah’s day, which occurred in 2370 B.C.E. Is there any evidence of man’s early ability to write? While it is true that archaeologists have assigned dates earlier than 2370 B.C.E. to certain clay tablets that they have excavated, such dates are merely conjectural. However, it should be noted that the Bible clearly shows that the building of cities, the development of musical instruments, and the forging of metal tools had their start long before the Deluge. (Gen. 4:17, 21, 22) Reasonably, then, men would have had little difficulty in developing a method of writing. Really if you think about it, God would not have given the 10 commandments in written form if they could not read them.

As the events in Genesis accounts were long before Moses time, Moses may have consulted written records. In this regard, it is noteworthy that Moses frequently uses the phrase “this is the history of,” before naming the person to be discussed. (Genesis 6:9; 10:1; 11:10, 27; 25:12, 19; 36:1, 9; 37:2) Some scholars say that the Hebrew word here translated “history,” toh‧le‧dhohth′, refers to an already existing written historical document that Moses used as a source for his writing. Of course, this cannot be stated conclusively.

It could be that the information contained in the book of Genesis was obtained by all three of the methods—some by direct revelation, some by oral transmission, and some from written records. The important point is that God’s spirit inspired Moses. Hence, what he wrote is rightly viewed as the word of God.

Source(s): Insight on the scriptures
  • 9 years ago

I'm afraid you are wrong. They had writing back in Moses' time. You might want to do your homework on ancient writing systems. The Phoenicians were the first to come up with an alphabet that had symbols representing sounds. That is where we get the word "phon" from.

Many civilizations had writing systems back then. The Egyptians, the Hebrews, etc. Moses could have used either one since he was raised as an Egyptian prince.

• Rita
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

In my opinion the bible was written by a very intelligent person of his or her time. I don't think that anyone will ever know the truth. It could be suggested albeit in a blasphemous sort of way that the bible was written to create law and order in a time where things had got out of hand. Come on, if we look at objectively if people like David Blane or other magicians of today where alive in this era who could cause illusions for example, would be considered to be the messiah in the day of Christ. If Christ even existed in the first place!!! I think it was all made up, my other theory is that JC was a conjurer, and very good at his job. Be serious!, the famous quote from a blind man 'I was blind and now i can see!!!', he could of had a bout of optical neuritis which causes temporary blindness, this cures itself on its own in most cases it just takes a while without medication. As far as I would say that you are right Moses didn't write the bible. I think a group of intelligent individuals wrote the bible and when they passed away i believe that their grand children and great grandchildren carried on with the job as if it where a family business.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Actually there was found an complete hebrew alphabet dating from approximately the time of Moses. Also the hebrew alphabet is more similar to hieroglyphs as every letter symbolises a word and a number. Also the way they are combined is really close related to that symbolism.

• 9 years ago

Moses was supposedly circa 1800BCE. The first true alphabetic writing, developed two centuries before, was used to translate Egyptian Hieroglyphs, the native language of Moses, into instruction for semitic laborers (like the Israelites) working in Egypt. Even still, Sumerian cuneiform existed for eight centuries before the legendary Moses.

• e w
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

There were indeed forms of writing at the time of Moses.

The Hebrew writing hadn't developed yet, but obviously Moses would have been able to read and write Egyptian. Therefore, the Ten Commandments must have been written in Egyptian.

There were also other cultures which had developed writing, but the most advanced culture of the day was in Egypt.

• 9 years ago

You are mistaken.

The Egyptians, the Mesopotamians, the people of India were all writing for a good thousand years before Moses came.

...obviously the Jews were writing as well.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

With difficulty.

As Prince Tut-moses he would have been familiar

with hieroglyphs.

But the early form were not suitable for Scriptures.

It depends what date you ascribe him to.

Phoenician was rather like txting = no vowels.

And as far as i know, no Ancient Hebrew scrolls

survive. Even the stuff cooked up around 450 BCE

is lost.

+

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

"When there were no alphabets nor writing systems in existence in Moses' time"

What reference is this based on?

• 5 years ago

There are only five books of Moses

Source(s): Learned all five books of Moses in school starting in grade 1
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.