Will new zealand ever be a state of australia?

They have been talking about it for years. Just google ' new zealand australia state ' and youll find heaps of info about it, i just dont get why its an issue? I understand back in the day when we were idiots and treated the indiginous cruely, that new zealand wouldnt have wanted to add theur moaris to that, but now i cant see the issues! It would be like hawaaii! Thats a state if the USA, but its not even close to it but no one sees it as american, they just are united. Why does tiny new zealand want to be its own country anyway? I dont understand it doesnt even belong to a continent (australia is a continent and a country in one so it means unless new zealand is a state, it doesnt belong with us).

Wouldnt they gain like way more stuff by being attached to us? And it means we could visit each other without visas and passports and all that crap.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

New Zealand is about 2000 Kms away from Australia. You could fit most of Europe in that space. It has its own culture and way of doing things. Both countries already have a free movement zone. New Zealanders can already visit Australia with practically no red tape. They automatically get a special entry visa on arrival in Australia. A similar thing happens in reverse for Australians. New Zealand doesn't want to become "just another state" of Australia. They are a proud nation with a heroic history much bigger countries would love to have. Incidentally there are plenty of countries that are not part of continents that remain sovereign nations. Are you trying to say that Britain should become a part of France, or perhaps Japan should join with China. Who is to say which continent New Zealand should join? Perhaps they might prefer to join with Europe, South America or even Asia. I think the Kiwis like things just as they are.

Source(s): Australian ,,,^..^,,,
    • Anita4 years agoReport

hey ****. that was a **** of an answer. new zealand history is boring as ****. they are already a part of asutralia pretty much. **** new zealand. they are all cunts in new zealand.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Australia has a pretty solid economy and has weathered the recent (current) recession better than most countries, mostly due to all the raw materials in the way of minerals available, that the rest of the world needs.

As an Australian state, New Zealand would benefit from this by having better wages in New Zealand, plus much of the young talent would not be leaving NZ for more money and a better standard of living in Australia. Medical resources would then improve in New Zealand, as well, as treatment options would increase and be available "across the ditch".

Hopefully food and materials would become cheaper for NZ due to the buying power of Australia, and markets for NZ goods and services might also increase, bringing revenue and jobs to NZ.

• 9 years ago

New Zealand already benefits from its close proximity to Australia - and there's nothing really that they need / want that they can't already get from us. We don't need visas now anyway!

New Zealand has a long and proud Maori heritage, and culturally has their own identity. It's not as is they would become just like Tasmania - they ARE different enough, and patriotic enough that they would never become and Aussie state and nor should they. This way they can control their own destiny. They don't 'need' Australia - despite the numbers that come here looking for work and sitting on the dole! There's also many Kiwis here that have been here for many many years, working and bringing up families, but still consider themselves diehard Kiwis and would never contemplate taking out Oz citizenship.

Continents are such by virtue of size, which is why NZ isn't one (same as other similar islands). But they do belong to the Asia-Pacific region.

Hawaii, by the way, was 'stolen' by the Americans in the same way land was taken from native Americans. They were 'taken' by force.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I agree, I think both countries would gain a lot from that. Unfortunately the New Zealand government has spent a century trying to instill a sense of patriotism into New Zealanders and a sense of national identity that makes it an issue of 'pride'. Also New Zealanders have been encouraged to compete with Australia and have rivalry with them and lots of people take this too far and so would be against being part of Australia. I think the symbolic nature of cultural identity and the competition between the countries means the pride in being a New Zealander has no real benefit and it's pointless to let it stand in the way of anything.

Source(s): I'm a New Zealander
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • C.M. C
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Kitty Kat, not in this life time. Just a little hint for you. What is the current budget deficit of the United States. The Australians don't want to go down that road, and nor they should. The relationship as I see it, between Australia and New Zealand works well, don't try and fix something that's not broken.

• dave
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

In May over 3000 Kiwi's moved to Australia, great for the Australian workforce, all would be here to work and not bludge off Centrelink.

Worked with plenty of them over the years, couldn't get better people, love their accent.

Can't really see the advantage of Australia and New Zealand combining into one country.

In war and peace we have been their for each other.

Hawaiians voted on the proposal to join with the US, I'm sure that works well.

Can you imagine the problems Bob Brown would cause in NZ if he was the puppeteer of NZ as well as Australia.

• 9 years ago

In words from John Keys, New Zealand Prime Minister

It is well understood that the Australian constitution graciously provides for New Zealand to join the Federation.

Suffice to say, that is an invitation for which an RSVP has never been sought nor offered.

It is a mark of our joint progress that we have found other, more effective, means of combining our strengths.

We both recognise the benefits to be gained from being two countries under two flags with our own approaches.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You don't need a visa to go from Australia to New Zealand and vice versa. You can also work hassle free in either country.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It would be more likely to be the other way around, that is, Austarlia will become a state of NZ

Source(s): My brain
  • 9 years ago

I think it's unlikely, TBH.

They're small, but they're also a leading world power with a strong federal government. They can function perfectly well without Australia, plus I honestly don't think it would go down too well with a lot of the New Zealand citizens.

I wouldn't have a problem if they did, but I just think it's unlikely

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.