Unleash asked in SportsBaseball · 9 years ago

Can you be a Yankee fan if you believe Derek Jeter is overrated?

I've been a Yankee fan all my life, but I have always felt that Derek Jeter is extremely overrated. Every time I get into this argument somebody always tries to "revoke my Yankee fanship."

Best Answer

I am a Yankee fan and have been all of my life. I cannot imagine anyone thinking that Derek Jeter is overrates. One need only look at his career stats to realize that he is one of the 5 greatest shortstops in MLB history. He has a .313 lifetime batting average, six hits away from 3,000 career hits. He is the captain of the most successful sports franchise in the world. He has been part of 7 American League Titles and 5 World Series Championships.

I would argue the validity of Jeter's greatest to anyone who disagrees.

I'm 100% with you bro. I've stuck to the "Jeter is overrated" argument for four years now. Arguing the point with Yankees fans makes me embarrassed to be one myself, because it makes you see why everyone hates Yankees fans so much. Point out that he's currently the worst hitter in the Yankees' lineup, you get "he's won five championships!" Argue that he's not a strong defensive shortstop, you get "he's the best shortstop in baseball history! Have you seen that jump-throw? The guy has like 10 gold gloves!" Mention that he doesn't have home run power or base stealing speed, you get "he's going straight to the hall of fame!"

Unfortunately, that's the reality of the majority of Yankee fans. You point out the weaknesses of their mascot, their captain, their God, their Mr. November Mr. Intangibles Mr. Perfect, you're going to face some resistance. Outside of Derek Jeter, aren't "intangibles" something you talk about when a player has nothing else going for him?

The guy has had a great career and was an elite hitter for average. Derek Jeter has had the most popularity and fan obsession of any singles hitter to ever play the game. That's what he has been for every year of his career - a glorified singles hitter. No more, no less.

The term "overrated" is really dependent on context. If someone tells you that Derek Jeter is the best SS to take the field, then they are over-rating him, because he's clearly not. If they tell you he's in the top 3, top 5, top 10, top 25, etc. then it becomes a bit more arguable how accurate that rating is, and thus whether or not people are overrating him.

The truth is that if Jeter dropped retired today, he's be in the Hall of Fame without difficulty. He an excellent offensive (and passable defensive) SS with a fistful of rings, and a history of performing well in the playoffs.... and he'd deserve to be there. The problem would be justifying snubbing Barry Larkin when Jeter gets in.

• ?

Sure you can. If I were you, though, I'd not bring that up around Yankee fans, because it tends to piss them off.

I'm not a Yankee fan, but I would like to say that Jeter is NOT overrated. He is one of the best-hitting shortstops ever to play the game. For a long time his fielding skills were overrated, but most baseball observers now know that he was never a fielding wizard. And his production certainly has declined in the last few years, but that's pretty normal for a player his age. You can't call him overrated just because he's getting older.

Jeter has had an amazing career. I don't think it's possible for a player with 3,000 career hits to be overrated; only a very few MLB players have ever reached that mark, and it's pretty much an automatic ticket to the Hall of Fame.

Yes it is possible. People just assume that since I am a female Yankee fan I automatically am a Jeter fan. I respect him but he isnt the best player on the team, at least he hasnt been the last 2 years.

He's overpaid right now, but if you've watched his entire career you'd remember many, many amazing plays and clutch hits he's made over the years. He's been one of the most consistent players in the history of the game, he plays hard every day and never quits on his team.

As a long time Red Sox fan I can't even count all the ridiculous plays he's made against them that just shouldn't have been caught. Nothing over rated about any of it.

I think the Yankees were nuts to give him a $45 million contract, but when you have the cash you can do things like that.

He's overrated right now. He is on his decline, and people are still calling him one of the best shortstops in the game; there's no way he should be going to the All Star Game this year. People are just voting for him because he's been there so many times.

His career, however, is not overrated in the least bit. He is without a doubt one of the best shortstops to ever play the game, and anyone who says otherwise is just an idiot.

• Antoc

Well there are plenty of yankee fans out there, and so by that logic there are some smart ones. You are probably in that group. Just remember, there are plenty of dumb yankee fans who literally think "Jetuh" is the best hitter in the history of baseball, so I am not surprised by the reaction.

But to be fair, he's had a tremendous career and at this point has probably run out of gas, which is ok. He's like 38, it happens to everyone. Just be thankful for the career he's had.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions so if you believe Jeter is overrated you have the right to that point of view.

Personally I think Derek Jeter is one of the greatest SS ever to play the game. Consummate pro, ultimate leader, clutch performer and proven champion.

I'm a Red Sox fan and don't think Jeter is overrated in his overall career,he is just declining because of age right now.