R&P: What's a song everyone thinks is overrated, but you disagree?

They say that it's overplayed, overpraised, oversung, overreferenced.. you get my point. A song that nearly everyone you talk to about the song, and they'll claim its overrated. But you disagree. So what's that song for you?

For me, it is Muse's Knights Of Cydonia. Triple J listeners voted it the 17th Greatest Song of all time, during the 2008 Olympics it was played constantly, but its such a great song, and deserving of all praise lashed onto it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sBOsh-vyI

Youtube thumbnail

Feel the same way about Metallica's One and Nine Inch Nail's Hurt.

BQ: Last good movie you watched?

BBQ: Favourite section besides R&P?

lol suggested category was wrestling...

Best Answer

I agree with Knights of Cydonia, but I'm not into Metallica and Nine Inch Nails that much (nothing against them just never got into them).

I think pretty much all songs from the Beatles, Queen, and Rolling Stones. A lot of people think they were never any good or anything but I think all 3 of those bands are excellent!

BQ: Insomnia

BBQ: E&M

• emjob

You do ask good questions Icecream :)

Okay you know what I'm going to say? Unchained Melody. Yeah it's been covered WAY too many times and played at WAY too many weddings but I love it. The Righteous Brothers is the best version of course, but versions by Sam Cooke, Roy Orbison and Andy Williams have also made it into my heart.

BQ: I watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels on TV last night :) seen it so many times but it's still such a great movie

BBQ: Movies :)

Wrestling?! Oh and I love Muse!!! Great choice on the Knights of Cydonia. They played that song at Glastonbury festival a couple of years ago and started the introduction with a bit of 'Man with a Harmonica' from Once Upon a Time in the West (one of my favourite movie scores of all time) I've loved Muse since about 1999....but they never fail to surprise me and keep me excited about the progress they make. A truly wonderful band of our generation :)

EDIT: @Future Citizen, GREAT choice and I totally agree with you. Top answer for that man!

• .

you know? I just can't think of anything at the moment other than Fade Into You by Mazzy Star. in which the chord progressions are based on a song I do think is a little overrated, knocking on heavens door. kind of an oxymoron there lol... I have heard a lot of people say that Fade Into You is overrated. I agree with you on NINs Hurt. it's more than just a song there is some raw emotion in that song, according to Reznor he was going through a really fu*ked up time in his life in that era of NIN, same with the song A Perfect Drug.

he was actually living in the Sharon Tate home when he wrote all those songs and claimed it had a lot to do with his writing in that era, and why those songs have such a dark element about them. then you have all the references about "Pigs" on the downward spiral which had to do with what Susan Atkins wrote on one of the walls in Tate's blood which was "political piggy" I believe. just some FYI. I like the song the music is great but I can't handle the lyrics anymore and I pick up on dark energy type sh*t so there are some songs off the downward spiral I can no longer listen to.

BQ: I have been real busy at work I am spending some extra hours producing some new material for a really good friend of mine she's got great vocals I have used her in some of my work and we both co-produce for each other at times so I have not seen anything in a few days. I think I have X-Men Origins Wolverine lined up I never did see it because I heard there is no more Rogue in the series and she is my favorite character, so I never did follow up after The Last Stand.

I've read many of these "Most overrated songs" lists. It seems to me that a lot of people have mistaken overplayed, for overrated. Maybe a lot of people just don't understand popular music. Maybe they are the same people who like to throw around that well worn phrase, "sell out" or "sold out". Some people aren't happy, unless their favorite band remains "underground" or "avant garde". I think some of these notions are idiotic. Think about the goals that drive thousands young people to form bands: To play music, have fun, party, meet chicks/guys and to make some money doing something they enjoy. Artistic expression and growth are rarely at the top of most young musician's agendas, at least not in the beginning. So, how exactly can one, "sell out", when most bands would love their albums to sell out? The whole reason they got into music was to make it big, so they could travel and party and meet people and have fun and perform a lot of great shows, which is exactly what happens when your record get played to death on the radio. I like a lot of popular music and some stuff that flies low on the radar. But these lists kind of bug me. They sound like they were written by washouts who never made it big and are p*ssed off that some band made millions from a catchy song, which they could never write, in a million hours of strumming their pathetic, boring tunes and writing bad lyrics, that nobody wants to hear. So, take your pick, Stairway, Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama, Teen Spirit, Light My fire, Imagine (are you f*cking serious? Imagine?) I've seen hundreds of great songs on these lists and all I can think is, 'Jealous much?' These people probably wrote some sappy, woeful songs about their ex girlfriend, and nobody cared and it crushed their little wannabe hearts. Then they have the nerve to call Imagine overrated. Like, they could write a glorious song like that in their wildest dreams. Give me a freakin break! These songs were overplayed, because they were universally loved, by millions of people, in countries around the world. It's called a hit song. Look it up some time!

Thanks for the good question. Love whatever you want man and screw these people, with their self important lists!

Knights of Cydonia is great, but it's not in the top 20 of all time. For me, it's Hey Jude. Heaps of Beatles haters site that song, and say it's overrated. I think it deserves all the praise it gets. Smells Like Teen Spirit is another song that gets the "overrated" tag, but I think it also deserves it's praise.

BA: The King's Speech.

BBA: I have many favourites.

Rolling In The Deep - Adele

BQ: Tron: The Legacy and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

BBQ: Beauty & Style

The Beatles- A Day in The Life

BQ: Interstellar 5555

BBQ: Playstation cause I have a lot about the section.

im an insane MUSE fan, i think generally they are COMPLETELY under rated, THEY KNOW MUSIC they truly know

specially MAT , he is an ARTIST

unlike the usually PUNK FUNK meaningless songs with no Original rhythm , MUSE stands on a different LEVEL

anyOne who watches MAT's Performance on the LIVE concerts will fall in LOve with their music

my favorite MUSE song is knights of cydonia too , Who can Create such an original rythme, specially the first 2:30 minutes leading to the singing part, its AWESOME im totally with you , they deserve a lot of PRAISE

my time is running out .... i love MAT's way of singing its weirdly awesome

• Rg4

For me it's Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" a song dedicated to the memory of Duane Allman..it consistently appears on the lists of overrated songs and of course it's become quite the joke to yell out Free Bird at concerts..I still love it and can't get enough of the awesome guitar solo at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lBNIiCMu7I

Youtube thumbnail

BA: The other night, I watched "Psycho"..must have been at least the tenth time I've seen it..

BBA: I think you and I share one..Movies, also P&S and yes on occasion I do visit Wrestling ;)

Source(s): I'm a free bird.

Metallica: something from the 80s in actuality...in spite of isn't enter Sandman Black Sabbath: something that isn't any longer on Paranoid The Who: won't Get Fooled lower back, My era Alice in Chains: might? i'm going to attempt to think of of a few greater BQ: #a million, relatively.