Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Is Obama's "Gunslinger" scandal (ATF giving guns to cartels) potentially like Reagan's Iran Contra scandal?

The similiarities are startling. Not to mention Obama handles this question less than stellar as if he isn't expecting it at all.

What do you think?

(For clarification: PBO = President Barack Obama and JR = Jorge Ramos, the reporter)

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/03/robert-farago...

JR: THE MEXICAN GOVERNMENT COMPLAINS THAT THEY WERE NOT INFORMED ABOUT THE “FAST AND FURIOUS” OPERATION. DID YOU AUTHORIZE THIS OPERATION AND WAS PRESIDENT CALDERON PROPERLY INFORMED ABOUT IT?

PBO: Well, first of all I did not authorize it. Eric Holder, the Attorney General, did not authorize it. He’s been very clear that our policy is to catch gun runners and put them into jail. So what he’s done is he’s assigned an I.G., an inspector general, to investigate what exactly happened…

JR: SO WHO AUTHORIZED IT?

PBO: Well, we don’t have all the facts. That’s why the I.G. is in business. To collect the facts.

JR: AND YOU WERE NOT EVEN INFORMED ABOUT IT?

PBO: Absolutely not, this is a pretty big government, the United States government. I got a lot of moving parts. But I want to be very clear, I spoke to President Calderon when he came to visit just a few weeks ago, our policy is to ramp up the interdiction of guns flowing south because that’s contributing to some of the security problems that are taking place in Mexico and what we are doing is trying to build the kind of cooperation between Mexico and the United States that we haven’t seen before. That ensures that we have a comprehensive approach.

@brown........."It's something for the press to play with, now that Weener is gone."

Well, good riddance. I would certainly like to see reporting on this instead of Anthony Weiner's c*ck shots.

@caribou........"Not even close."

lol............I think it's closer than you want to admit. If you think there weren't some drugs involved in this at some point, you are naive.

Favorite Answer

Yes, but it is much worse than Iran Contra. These guns were intentionally allowed to 'walk," and ATF agents warned their bosses that people would be killed. Their bosses were not just stupid--it was criminal manslaughter and possibly treason. And agents are coming forward, blowing the whistle. Senior Agent Dodson is testifying that this policy goes up at least as high as Holder's Justice Dept. They will be made to supply their records.

"House Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) said in a national interview that he believes the Justice Department is covering up information relevant to a congressional investigation of an operation in which the department knowingly allowed intermediaries of Mexican drug cartels to purchase guns at licensed firearms dealers in the United States and then get away without being arrested or the guns being retrieved.

Issa pointed to two things he says indicates a Justice Department cover up. First, he cites a letter that Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich, head of the Justice Department's office of legislative affairs, sent to Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA), the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee on February 4, 2011. Issa characterizes that letter as a "lie."

Secondly, Issa says the Justice Department made excessive and unjustifiable omissions in documents it provided to his committee.

The entire "grandiose" operation began in 2009 and ended in early 2011 with ONLY the indictment of 20 individuals on relatively minor charges for illegal gun purchases!"

Now, is that what Mr. Obama meant by "change?"

Officials are admitting that these guns,which our government allowed to "walk," were used in at least 150 shootings. Those of you who are more concerned about promoting your political candidate -aren't you at all concerned that your federal government, charged to protect, has instead been an ally to criminals?

The key question for the Obama administration is: "What did you know, and when did you know it?"

Congress needs the records--we can't believe a word they say anymore.

I don't know near enough about this story (yet) to make a real informed decision. I know its been kicked around for a week or two but first serious story I seen was on O'Reilly Factor tonight.

If everything I have seen thus far is true then it has the potential to be as damning as the Iran Contra Scandal

More so if you also believe some of the conspiracy theories that the Obama Administration wasn't going to tell anyone that they sent the guns to Mexico and use this as a way/reason to ban the sale of guns in the USA. Seeing how a border agent was shot and killed with one of these guns.

No. The Iranians never came over here and killed innocent americans like the drug cartels did. Obama should be removed from office

It's something for the press to play with, now that Weener is gone.

The fast and furious ATF plan was just stupid.

Its obviously the work of the NRA and the gun industry.

It's not everyday you have a conservative willingly comparing Obama to Reagan.

• No,

Not even close.