how do i count 3dc stitches and v-cluster stitches?

my pattern says 1ST ROW- sc in each stitch to end of row. 2ND ROW- Ch3, then miss next 2 sc and v-cluster in 3rd sc. Miss next 2 sc then 3dc in 3rd sc. Repeat to end of row. 3RD ROW-Ch3, v-cluster in next v-cluster. (MISS NEXT DC.) 3dc in next dc. Repeat to end of row. My question which is in parentheses is how do you count dc stitches when you do a v-cluster and 3dc. When i do 3dc in one sc, do i count that as one dc? When i do v-cluster, how do i count the dc?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Miz T
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The V-cluster is probably specific to this pattern rather than being a standard stitch such as a "double crochet." Therefore, it would depend on the pattern you're using how you count it. Often, when there is a count in a lacy pattern, it tells you to count stitch *patterns* rather than individual stitches. Your pattern may tell you to count V-clusters, for example. It looks as though your pattern consists of V-clusters and groups of 3 dc stitches, where the next row's 3 dcs are crocheted into the center of the group from the previous row. The V-clusters will form columns and the 3-dc groups will form columns, and the columns will be easy to count.

Also, many crochet patterns these days come with a graph that illustrates how the stitches will look and that make it easy to count stitches and stitch patterns.

To answer your question as specifically as I can:

"When i do 3dc in one sc, do i count that as one dc?" You count the 3 dc as 3 dc. When you work the next row, there are 3 stitch tops that could be used, and each counts as one stitch.

"When i do v-cluster, how do i count the dc?" You didn't say how many dcs are included in a V-cluster.

"My question which is in parentheses is how do you count dc stitches when you do a v-cluster and 3dc." In most instances, I'd count one stitch for each stitch made in the V-cluster. That may or may not be true in the pattern you're working, so my second suggestion is to count one stitch for each stitch your V-cluster displaces. For example, on the second row, you ch 3, which counts as a dc, then skip 2 scs and V-cluster in the 3rd sc, followed by skipping 2 scs and 3 dc in the 3rd sc, which you repeat. Okay, a V-cluster involves 1skiped sc, 1 holding the V-cluster, and 1 skipped sc. That's 3 stitches total. The 3-dc group involves 1 skipped sc, 1 holding the 3 dcs, and 1 skipped sc. That's 3 stitches total. One repeat of the pattern takes 6 stitches. Does that answer your question?

• 9 years ago

The top of the work is made up of chains into which you insert your hook. Each chain counts as 1 stitch.

When you work a cluster you usually do several stitches then end with pulling the yarn thru all the loops on the hook to produce the cluster. This results in 1 chain at the top of the cluster. That chain counts as 1 stitch.

You then miss 2 stitches and work 3dc in the same stitch. This gives 3 chains at the top so you have replaced the 2 stitches you missed.

To sum up assume you started with 4 stitches and worked the first row with 1 cluster and 3dc. At the end of the row you would have 1 chain at the top of the cluster and 3 chains on top of the 3dc so you would still have 4 stitches.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.