Why does verizon expect me to pay $650 for an iphone, when I can buy one from apple for 200?

My verizon plan says I can get a new phone every year but if i want a discount for the phone i need to wait 2 years. Well right now I have the droid eris which barely works at all right now and I have to wait 9 months to get a phone for a discount, and i think it's bull s*** that they expect me to pay $650... show more My verizon plan says I can get a new phone every year but if i want a discount for the phone i need to wait 2 years.

Well right now I have the droid eris which barely works at all right now and I have to wait 9 months to get a phone for a discount, and i think it's bull s*** that they expect me to pay $650 for a $200 phone.

Why does verizon expect me to pay $650 for an iphone, when I can buy one from apple for $200?

Also, if i buy the phone through apple how can I get it to work?

If they really expect me to pay $650 for a phone I'm switching back to Cincinnati Bell because they never gave me any problems.