Is PETA against having pets?

i read that somewhere but im vegetarian and a animal right person myself but i treat my black lab named blackjack fine and he seems to love us so if this is true i dont understand there motives

excuse me if i said pet i didn't know it was derogatory term

Favorite Answer

They are against buying from pet stores/breeders. They support adopting from shelters.

They ARE striving for a world where all animals can be free and we can equally share our world. But obviously that is going to take serious time and change among our society; so for now they support adoption.

Is Peta Against Pets

PETA is against the irresponsible people who dump their pets for whatever reason... pets should be a life time commitment... just like a child. Meanwhile, PETA sponsors a spay & neuter clinic & provides dog houses for those who can't afford them.

• ?

Well, here's one quote from Peta that I, as a dog lover, will never forget.

http://pitbullregistry.com/Peta%20Letter.htm

Of particular interest to me is the quote:

"People who genuinely care about dogs won't be affected by a ban on pit- bull breeding. They can go to the shelter and save one of the countless other breeds and lovable mutts sitting on death row."

Now, for those of you who don't know, there are well over 40 breeds often mistaken for pit-bulls. Including some labradors, Jack Rustle Terriers, Rottweilers, Boxers, American Bulldogs, and quite a few hound breeds. There's more than a dozen news articles about supposed pit-bull attacks that turned out to later be Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

Which has led to several different types of these all over the internet by those who hate Breed Specific Legislation. Which says that your dog is a vicious man killer, not on its behavior but because of its looks.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.ht...

What Ingrid Newkirk has basically said is that because of a dog's looks, it is automatically a ticking time bomb ready to take someones life. That entire breeds and of course all mutts with a cross between those breeds should all be destroyed.

That because of what has happened at the hands of irresponsible and sometimes down right abusive owners by a few dogs, entire breeds should take the blame and be absolutely eradicated.

Of course when you blame the dog for something that is the human's responsibility, nothing gets done. Before long, you'd wind up with a growing list of breeds as more incidents happen. In Italy, they had a list of 92 breeds. Including the Boarder Collie, and the Corgi among other so called "family breeds."

Here are a few other breeds sometimes hit by bsl.

American Pit Bull Terrier

American Staffordshire Terrier

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Akita

Doberman Pinscher

Scottish Deerhound

Belgian Malamois

Cane Corso

Fila Brasileiro

Great Dane

Bull Mastiff

St. Bernard

Dogo Argentino

Boxer

Shar Pai

Alaskan Malamute

Siberian Husky

American Bulldog

Presa Canario

German Shephard

Rottweiler

Chow Chow

Rhodesian Ridgeback

Dogue de Bordeaux

Tosu Inu

Irish Wolf Hound

English Mastiff

Mastiff

Great Pyrenees

If Peta really cares about dogs so much, they would have instead pushed for reinforcing and creating new laws that put the responcibility of the dog on the shoulders of the owner.

Of course they've also tried and have shut down numerous no-kill shetlers, among other things.

As far as the whole animal rights thing, I think you may need to do some digging on rights vs welfare.

Hello

Well I think a lot of peoples eyes have been opened to the web site information on PETA that shows how they have not rehomed many "pets" and have just killed them, leading people to believe that PETA spends more money on advertising than rehoming animals. See the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCl4N4fnt0

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

As for your animal, as long as you love your animal, look after it well I am sure you will be fine.

Take Care

Spirit World Messages

The numbers are finally in. In 2010, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) impounded 1,553 cats. They killed 1,507 and found homes for only 28. Another 9 were transferred to killing shelters and their fates are unknown. That’s a 97% rate of killing. In 2010, they took in 792 dogs and put 693 to death. They found homes for only 16, with 54 sent to killing shelters and their fates are unknown. That is, at best, an 88% rate of killing.

PETA does not believe in pet ownership. Newkirk has said: “Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.”

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=260711557019

I'm for having a furry companion.

They are far too domesticated for their own good.

I see adopting a pet like adopting a child in need.

IDGAF what PETA says for that, though I am more pro-PETA than not.

Source(s): Common sense.

This is a quote from their website. It's pretty clear what they think...

This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering, which results from manipulating their breeding, selling or giving them away casually, and depriving them of the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior. They are restricted to human homes, where they must obey commands and can only eat, drink, and even urinate when humans allow them to.

Read more: http://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/pets/#ixzz...

I'm no fan of PETA (mostly because I think they're more than happy to exploit women on their crusade for what they call an "equitable" and "just" society), but I think their stance on pets is absolutely correct for anyone who takes a position that animals should be respected no less than humans. The human/pet relationship is necessarily unequal. The animal is subordinate. It has to be "trained" to get along in a human-centered society. How can a person say that they wish to give full respect to animals and still support this?

Another argument: I think most if not all animal-rights activists would agree that any responsible pet owner will spay/neuter their pet. Well what kind of respect are you showing to an animal if you take away its right to reproduce? Please understand that I'm most certainly NOT advocating owning an unfixed animal, but I am attempting to point out the inherent contradiction between respecting an animal as a fully valued creature and owning one as a pet.

That said, there will always be breeders, puppy mills, and irresponsible pet owners, and as long as these things exist, there will be a need for people to responsibly and lovingly take care of these animals that probably can't survive and thrive on their own. This is not an ideal world, but in an ideal world pet ownership would be as obsolete as meat-eating and leather-wearing.

I shall now prepare for the predictable rash of thumbs-down.

Source(s): Ethics and logic.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is PETA against having pets?

Source(s): peta pets: https://shortly.im/rjiT4