Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Does it annoy you when people call their story a 'book' or 'novel'?

Does it ever annoy you when people refer to their story as a book or novel, when it isn't actually a book or a novel and might not ever be?

Oh, btw- I'm not actually annoyed over it. xD It just occurred to me that people might be.

Also, I'm not talking about whether or not it's published, I'm talking about when people on here say things like 'How is the first chapter of my book, I just started?' in which case it isn't technically a book since it's only a chapter.

Favorite Answer

Yes it does. Until it is published (even if it is written in a notebook - which then it is 'my story written in my notebook' - not a novel or a book) it is technically by definition an unpublished manuscript or a work in progress.

Choice of description of a writer's work shows me how serious or ignorant they are to the process. It often turns an agent, publisher or editor off which is fine with me because it moves my work up the list while counting theirs out because of their disrespect of the business. People in the industry don't trust newbies who don't try to familiarize themselves with the industry (I know I was there once, I got the comments, looks, and faces) the way you'd walk away from a mechanic who said, 'I can fix that doohickey in a second'.

*EDIT* Whether 1 chapter or 175,000 words it will always be an unpublished manuscript or manuscript until contracted.

It irks me to some extent people referring to novels as books, but that is my English Literature study. Most often i would say Manuscript when referring to the entire document, and narrative when referring to what happens within the ... narrative.

Most important of all is that a novel does not need to be published to be called a novel and does not need to be published inside a book. Novel refers to the 'New' story telling technique. There is a great reference to this in The Importance of Being Earnest, and the editor notes on Shelley's Frankenstein. Furthermore, Frankenstein was called a novel from the beginning, but took 3 years after initial publication to be in a 'book form' it began as a magazine publication yet was still a novel.

However, that may just be because i had to learn that for English Literature.

Source(s): The various things i mentioned in my answer
  • Kelly

No, not really. Really, the thing that makes a novel a novel is if it's - I think...? - 50,000 words or more. So if they've reached that point, then they really have written a novel, whether or not it's published or in the book-form yet.

it extremely is no longer plenty the vampire novels, it extremely is the incontrovertible fact that they are all vampire novels approximately an older male vampire falling in love with a severe college female for no reason in any admire. I recommend, in case you prefer to place in writing Twilight fanfic, pass write Twilight fanfic - think of up a plot approximately Edward and Bella, or most of the different characters, doing some thing interior the timeperiods no longer lined via the books. I do discover the countless rehashing of the Twilight plot in unique fiction to be previous boring.

No, why would such a minor thing annoy me. For all you know, they could keep it in a book and they just write their stories in it. Calling it a book or novel is fine.

No, not really, unless when in truths it is just a few paged story. Otherwise it is still technically a book whether it is published or not.

Not really - it's a convenient shorthand to indicate how long it is (or is intended to be). "A novel-length story" is more accurate but rather a mouthful.

What annoys me is things like "I'm writing a novel - where should I set it, what should my characters be called and what should the plot be?"

No, because it is their aspiration for their story to become a book or novel!

• Somewhat, only because I refer to my own as a manuscript.

No. It's such a trivial thing to care about, it makes me laugh that people actually do.