What is spain like to travel to?

Is it very tourist? Where are some places to escape to for total seclusion and stunning nature scenes? I'm leaving for 10 days. I'm interested in dramatic landscapes, culture, history, and good food. I am not looking for a holiday on the beach, though In would like to see a spanish beach just for fun though mountains are more appealing to me.

@ Tumbit- Have you maybe thought of being a little more helpful with your answers?

Not sure how much more specific I can be without knowing the answer myself. I want a secluded, non-touristy place with history and culture to explore. No beach, but suggestions on a good one are welcome. So, I just reworded my question for you... maybe that's better. I said Spain. Its not like I asked about Europe as a whole.

Wow, thanks so much guys! Wonderful thorough answers!

Favorite Answer

Spain is a big country and you can have a huge variety of landscapes, architecture, food, people, culture, music and even languages (not only Spanish is spoken). In fact some regions are so different with each other that they look like different countries.

In Andalusia in Southern Spain there is a province, Almeria, which ressembles Arizona whereas in Asturias, in Northern Spain, the fields are as green as in Ireland because it rains a lot there.

Touristy? Some places are, some others are not.

I could suggest:

Picos de Europa, if you go to Nothern Spain (Asturias)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picos_de_Europa

Vall de Núria and Montserrat if you go to Catalonia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vall_de_N%C3%BAria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat_%28mountai...

If you go to Madrid, if recommend towns nearby full of history like Toledo or Segovia.

Source(s): I am from Barcelona, capital of Catalonia

Spain is an extremely varied country. It's much larger than most people think.

The coasts, in the summer, are very touristy and tourist-filled. Crowded. As are many of the major historic cities. And then there are plenty of places you can escape them, into the mountains, etc.

Wilderness inland is much more secluded. You'd probably find something to enjoy there, if that's what you're looking for.

Good food? you'll be pleased. Exceptional variety in specialties, but most dishes are available everywhere. There are a couple of protected, secluded beaches. LOTS of mountains, biking tours, wine tours, historic tours, (or you can plan your own).

For culture, the must-sees are Madrid (of course. Big city, tons of museums, lots of culture, theater, dining, shows.), Sevilla (much smaller city, but still a big city. lots of museums and historic monuments. This is the Spain that most people imagine when they think of Spain. Moorish influence is very strong, here. This is where Flamenco was born, and bullfighting is king. As is soccer/fútbol) Granada. If you want true, strong, Moorish Spain, this is IT. The Alhambra is a not to miss! Barcelona. Another very big city, it has a history that begins with the Phoenicians and Greeks, Romans, Christians, and then falls into semi-obscurity, picking up again in the early 20th century. All the Impressionist artists, and later, until the time of Franco, had some connection here. There are individual museums for many of the famous artists: Dalí, Miró, Picasso, etc., etc. Great shopping, incredible food, even some dramatic landscapes not too far from town. (go to the monastery in Mont Serrat and take the funicular to the top of the mountain)

For other dramatic landscapes, there are many mountain ranges: Try the Ruta de los Pueblos Blancos (all those pretty little whitewashed towns that typify southern Spain - you can rent a bike and bike it, or take a tour, or a bus, or car...many ways to experience). The province of Cuenca has some pretty park land, and pretty waterfalls. The Pyrenees.

Really, you need to do a little research. Look for images of those regions. Go to any photo sharing site, and search any of those names.

The beaches are generally full of tourists, but not really the rural towns. I'd say somewhere in Galicia or the north if you want more forests and stuff. If you're interested in the culture maybe Andalucía would be better as it has a lot of things from when the muslims lived there. Or you could go to Carrícola which is a tiny little village (mine, incidentally) and it has lots of mountains and places to go hiking.

Sorry this isn't very helpful, I've been to a lot of nice villages, I just can't remember their names.

Have you maybe thought of being a tad more specific with your question ?

EDIT

Ok, here goes : Spain is VERY large and diverse country that attracts Millions of tourists each and every year. Some areas are very busy and Touristy, some not.

I live on the Costa Blanca, which may say is touristy, and does indeed attract a high portion of all tourists coming to Spain. However, my village lies halfway up a mountain about 15kms from the sea. We rarely see any tourists at all.

Perhaps you would like to tell us which part of Spain you had in mind ? You said you are leaving in 10 days - surely you must have a destination planned already, or are you just turning up at the airport ? - If YOU ARE, then which airport.

You have to help us to help you !

I live in Spain and it's very touristic but here there are not stuff as in France or Italy, no, here just beach and party, we love to have fun.

i went to spain a few years back and everywhere i went was very nice and beautiful land and perfect. And i went to big cities like Madrid, i didn't spell that right but i don't want to look it up, and other cites like that, but that was a few years back and it might have changed. But no matter where you go you will love them all.