Does smoking weed affect athletic abilities?

I used to smoke weed around once a week and now i dont..but i play soccer everyday and before i smoked i wouldnt get tired as quicly as i do now..I have highschool tryouts in a couple of months i just want to know if it waz the weed or my age (17) that makes me tired very quickly?

Favorite Answer

Well if you're under the influence while trying to perform in an athletic environment you will have one hell of a time lol. But to answer your direct question, no, probably just a conditioning issue like the poster above me said. Just make a running schedule to build up some endurance and you'll be fine, soccer is like 98% running so it takes a lot of great endurance.

Jon

Weed makes you lethargic and inactive. You can quickly lose conditioning and stamina. I would heartily suggest that you start working on it now. Next years tryouts start today!

Set up a two mile run through your neighborhood. Walk some of it at first of you must, but complete it daily. The distance IS important. Once you can run it, then you can alternate the daily workout with a ten mile bicycle SPRINT. That way you get the cardio without the impact.

You just have time enough to get in great shape before the tryouts. If you can also join a summer league, it would even be better!

I am riding daily, completing spring soccer, and getting ready for the summer leagues & tournament season AND High School training camps that start next month. For me, it is a 12 month a year program!

Soccerref

Marijuana acts as a function depressent. It slows down electrical impulses that go through the brain (which is why you feel relaxed and chill). This however will hinder your athletic ability because it slows down your reflexes and motivation. (Also, smoking (anything, not just marijuana) causes build up in the lungs which causes respitory problems, starting so young as thirteen will not end well if your brother continues smoking it, you as well in fact)

Unless you were high while trying to run then I doubt it would of made much of a difference, after all smoking weed once a week isn't going to affect you too much in any sense.

It wasn't weed, just smoking once a week won't do that. It's probably because you haven't practiced in a while.

Out of shape? But yes weed could do that to you

Weed won't slow you down. But munchies will make you play like a fat kid with no knees.