from F-1 visa to green card...?

I've just gotten approved for the green card yesterday! I hinted at my International counselor a week ago that I will not be paying these fees any more (provided that I was going to get approved, of course), and she told me she didn't think it was true, but i still had to talk to my International Director, of course. she said that in her opinion, i would have to wait out another year before I am considered to be a resident. That is BS, right? they just don't wanna lose someone that pays more, right? I've been in the US for more than 4 yrs, I've pretty much paid more than $25,000 in tuition fees alone. the green card signifies residency, right? no matter how you look at it!!

because right now, if that's true, i think i just wanna go to admission and records to show her my green card (I'll get it next week, there is plenty of time until school starts) ..

has anyone else been in my situation? do you have to wait for a year until you are no longer an international student?


it's not like I'm not patient, I just have one more semester of nursing school to go, and i cannot afford to work while i study ---i don't wanna blow my last semester-- i don't want my husband to pay for my school either...

Update 2:

@ valère: are you seriously asking this? did you know that marrying someone for purposes like this is a fraud? or coming to the US with the intent to stay here? you need a careful revision of your words, if not more, please.

9 Answers

  • Raelyn
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

    It's not BS. Your four years of residency as an international student do not count towards meeting the state tuition residency requirement, usually one year. The clock starts ticking from the date of your green card. The reason for the one-year requirement is so that US citizens and green card holders don't jump over the border to another state just to go to college. Tuition at state and local colleges and universities is subsidized by state, not federal tax dollars. Some states fund their schools more generously than others, and understandably, state residents don't want to fund the education of people who moved there just to go to school. The $25,000 tuition you paid covered the cost of your education only. Meanwhile, the parents of your fellow US citizen and LPR students have been funding education for many years with their tax dollars. Be patient, wait a year, and you'll be eligible.

  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    Your counselor is right. To be considered an in-state resident for tuition purposes, you have to first of all be a resident of a state for a year. So it will be one year from the day you become a resident ( the day you get your green card) before you are eligible for in-state rates. Plus you have to be living in your state for a purpose other than for school. Otherwise, everyone would be in-state for three of their 4 years in college. So one year after you graduate, if you stay in the state, you could go back for another degree as an in-state student.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    actually your director is right. Once you have a greencard you begin to qualify for residency. In order to have residency you need to have lived for at least one year in your state as a permanent resident. Some states it's 2 years...

    It is definitely not a matter of waving your greencard in order to get instate tuition. They usually want you to fill out quite a number of forms (e.g. copies of your tax records). Well, you'll find out.

    Actually a lot of courses charge you $25 000 a year for international tuition. So if you are nearly done and only paid $25 000 total you are doing quite OK.

    You can always pay your husband back after you get a job. That's definitely more efficient than postponing graduating. Paying more now so you can earn sooner (and therefore more) should pay off financially.

  • Jan
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    You are a resident of the US,but for tuition purposes,you may not be a resident of the state you live in. You may be required to pay out of state tuition instead of international rates. Generally to be considered a resident of the state,you have to live there for a year. Your student status may not be considered as a resident of the state for the required year.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Your uncle won't be a distinctive adequate relative to do the common familial sponsorship. What you're conversing approximately could take many, some years to technique and your F-one million will probable be expired by utilising then. So regardless of in case you attempt to try this or you attempt to get a US employer prepared to sponsor a artwork visa you will nevertheless could return homestead after your analyze then re-enter on the hot visa form.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    You need to be resident for a year before you can get in state tuition.

  • 9 years ago

    Once you a get a stamping of Residency.. u are no longer a international

    you can start informing ur institution just after 24 hr of stampin that u are a resident and tuition starts counting as resident and not international

    you don't need to pay any charges once u get resident stamp except ur lawyer fees.

    i had same situation.. i paid $ 88,000 for 4 years of education here in US; not i pay as equal to a citizen pays

  • 9 years ago

    So if i understand, you've got married with an american to get your green card and changing your statut? , can you explain me please how do you proceed to get your green card?...i am tired to spend all my money by myself in the ELS , i have spend more than 10000 dollars up to now, i cant work , i have no social, i have nothing!! maybe i'd better to go back home?

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    thats between you and them but never argue ..they can just boot you out

    i presume you got the green card thru marriage .. congratulations

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.