Can I go into the military with ET (Essential Tremors)?

I'm very interested in going into the Air Force. I have a mild case of Essential Tremors and I'm a little worried I will be disqualified from joining. It is not noticeable when I'm calm, but when I become nervous and you stare at my hands for more than a second.. You can notice.

Favorite Answer

Hello.

I had been serving in the israeli army for 3 years as a combat soldier, and to say the truth sometimes I regret it.

There are few reasons for it:

the first is the humiliation i had to go through allot of times, especially at shooting practice, i cant even start to try and tell you how embarrassing it was to be in that situation (although you probably know).

And you probably know that after physical Stress or lake of sleeping the tremor gets worst.

The other thing that really depressed me was the fact that i am a smart and a sharp guy, but because of the tremors the commanders thought i was weird (oh by the way i didn't told them i had et cause if i did they wouldn't let me stay there). So no matter how hard i tried , i couldn't exploit my potential so really it felt like im wasting my time.

another thing is the fact that in those 3 years i could have tried to find a cure but instead i think that some of the things i had gone through - made the coping with the et harder.

Im sorry if this is disappointing you. maybe you are mentally stronger than me . but i really think that you should concentrate on getting better.

If you have any questions email me at: Zeev44@hotmai.com

I have ET and I'm currently in the Marine Corps, it sucks honestly. The simplest things are the hardest for me which can seem unfair but has taught me how to appreciate my other talents. I am pretty smart but don't ask me to write in front of you. This is what I have to face on a day to day basis. The fear of being embarrassed or people staring at my shaky hands and being asked if I'm scared. In a way I guess I am scared, but I shouldn't be. Nothing bad is going to happen to me but this condition has created a social phobia. I advise you to get professional help before you get into the military. I don't want you to go through the **** I went through. Things like saluting are hard and shouldn't be. Get better and then come back. You'll be more confident and more willing to get in front and lead.

• ferne

That's an interesting question!