Army Officer Candidate School with a DUI?

I am tired of my boring job and at 23 feel like I need to do something more meaningful with my life. I would like to become an officer in the US Army, but am not sure if I'd be accepted with a DUI ( I received the DUI in November of 2010). My lawyer told me after 1 year it will be expunged from my record, but I'm sure I'd have to tell them about it, and they would find out anyway.

I have my B.S. from the University of Pittsburgh in Civil and Environmental Engineering with a minor in Geotechnical Engineering, and would like to use my skills to help defend my country. I know as an officer you are suppose to be a role model for other soldiers, and I feel that having this DUI will kill my chances of getting into OCS.

Realistically, what are my chances of being accepted for OCS?

Thanks

I appreciate all the responses so far. I understand it was an incredibly poor decision and one that I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life- I just don't want this one dumb move to ruin my chances of serving my country.

I could go into detail about what happened but there are no excuses for my actions, and I take responsibility for what happened. I know I have the qualities that would make a great officer and it would be a big let-down if I wasn't able to pursue my goal.

Favorite Answer

If it will be expunged from your record I would just wait then you will not have to even mention it. with a degree in Civil and Environmental engineering you'd do better to look into the navy air force or cost guard, assuming you still want to do engineering related job.

1

Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database - http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?eCEo

I wouldn't hold your breath. People get kicked out of the Army for things like that and they have time and money invested in them. With you wanting to become a commissioned officer a DUI shows you have extremely poor judgement and decision making skills. Even if it honestly was "just that one time" that's not how the military is going to see it.

I know you can make the arguement that no one is perfect, and of course you are right. It just happens that at this point in time the military has plenty of applicants just like you that do not have things like DUI's so they can afford to be very picky.

Expunged or not you need to disclose it, and it will be discovered, especially during your security clearance paperwork. If you fail to disclose it you could be discharged at best for fraudulent enlistment.

That being said, your chances are zero if you don't try, I just wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

• bjorne

you choose 2 waivers to additionally be seen for OCS. One, you choose an age waiver because you're 37. 2d, you choose a ethical waiver from the CG, USAREC because of the fact all OCS applicants choose a waiver for any misdemeanor. Your terrific guess is to basically pass enlisted. Your probabilities of even getting an age waiver is narrow to none and you will overlook related to the DUI waiver because no habit waivers are going previous the battalion point. you will get a DUI waiver in case you pass enlisted assuming that it is your basically offense.

• AJ

LOL, your lawyer lied. a DUI stays on your civilian record for at least 7 years.

However, if you do get in, which I think you won't with a DUI, you won't be using any of your Engineering skills. As an Officer, 99% of your time is unit management and planning.

Would you trust an individual who couldn't make the simple decision to hand over the keys or call a cab to lead America's sons and daughters, husbands and wives, fathers and mothers into combat? And let him sign for millions of dollars worth of equipment?

I wish you luck, but I sure as hell don't want to serve next to you.