Planning to move to Los Angeles...?

I'm in an undergraduate at a film school right now. Just finished up my 1st year and I'm planning to graduate in 2014. After that I plan on moving to Los Angeles with some friends and starting my career. I know it is a good three years away before I make the "big move" but is there anything I... show more I'm in an undergraduate at a film school right now. Just finished up my 1st year and I'm planning to graduate in 2014. After that I plan on moving to Los Angeles with some friends and starting my career. I know it is a good three years away before I make the "big move" but is there anything I should start preparing for? For example, what is the average rate for renting apartments? What are some good areas? Pros/Cons of L.A.?
I realize the rates for renting will probably be higher when I make the move but I'd like to just get a feel for everything. I've lived there for a month before, and even though that wasn't a whole lot of time I did get a feel for the L.A. life. Plus is there any advice one can give me?

Again, I know its three years from now, but I just want to be prepared. Thank you!
Update: My experience with L.A. would be North Hollywood, near Burbank. Would that be an okay area? The apartments where I was weren't that bad, but again I have no idea what I'm talking about!