RHH: Are you a picky hip-hop listener?

1.On a scale of 1-10, how picky are you?

2. What do you look for in hip-hop music as far as production? What type? jazz, house, funk, rock influenced... etc

3. Do you try to be well-rounded in all eras of hip-hop or just concentrate on certain areas like 80, 90, 2000's, underground, mainstream, and so on?

4. What area do you lack knowledge of in hip-hop and looking forward to learning more about?

5. Do you think gangster rap in one way or another has tarnished the state of hip-hop in the long term instead of helping it out to be more creative and productive. And no hip-hop is not dead, if that's what you think I am trying to say.

example that speaks of this *subliminally*: Common- I Used to Love H.E.R

Well I am not necessarily saying that gangsters rap has destroyed hip-hop or anything like that, but I feel like since it started, you have seen more artist who sell out for the sake of making a quick buck if it means to rap about girls, guns, and drugs because it is popular. Don't you rather listen to creative stuff like Beauty and the Beat where artists take their time to create something unique and different, instead of the same thing over and over, but from different artist. In other words same sh*t, different smell...

• GP
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, I'm really picky because I have to be in a certain mood to like any sort of music. So I'll often listen to an album once, hate it, delete it off my computer, than another day download it and it'll become one of my all time faves.

2. It all works. I tend to prefer simplistic beats with a smooth piano riff on top of a solid drum beat.

3. I just listen to what I like, I don't really go out of my way to listen to albums just because they're hip hop essentials. Although I've heard most of them anyway.

4. There's always underground artists dropping dope material I haven't heard of yet. I'm pretty much up on all of the classic 90's and 80's rap.

5. No. It may have tarnished it's reputation a bit but that's all. I believe all rap sub-genres and concepts are equal, it's the rapper that makes it good or bad. Wack rappers will continue to make wack rap regardless of what type of concept they choose to pursue.

1. 5/10

2. I'm real big on jazz and soul samples, but I listen to pretty much any kind of sound.

3. I try to be well rounded, but I always go back to the 90's.

4. Hip hop as a culture? Graffiti and Break dancing. Hip Hop as music? 80s.

5. There are rappers that basically treat hip hop as a job instead of a form of art: Get money, and nothing more. And because this is so prevalent in the mainstream, it gets other emcees in hip hop bad looks.

But gangster hip hop as a whole? Not at all.

1 - 5

2 - As long as the production is not lo-fi any musical influence is fine with me. Although I particularly like production where "boom bap" is prominent and a dark atmosphere.

3 - I try to be well rounded but whatever catches my ear I will listen to it.

4 - The Golden Age. I literally have not heard a single album from this era in Hip-Hop. A few songs only.

5 - Nope. Creativity also thrived in gangster rap and I feel it has affected Hip-Hop in both bad and good ways.

1. 3

2. Jazz is my favorite, but I'm open to anything

3. I'm somewhat new to RHH, but I'm trying to keep up with everything. I haven't listened to much from the 80s yet.

4. 80s RHH is something I'd say I'm not knowledgeable about at all.. I'm pretty well versed in 90s and most 2000s mainstream releases. There's always more underground music to be heard..

5. Nah, it may have hurt the outside viewers opinion on it, but it hasn't really affected hip-hop itself.

• No, I'm listening to 50 Cent right now and I was listening to Panacea right before him.

1. 4/10

2. I don't like beats that are to simple, like 80's production, for the most part.I don't look for specific sounds, some of my favorite instruments used are organs, keyboards, and xylophones though.

3. I listen mostly to 90's Mainstream, todays mainstream, todays underground.

4. 80's & 70's, I'm not going to look into them though, maybe I would look into 90's underground.

5. It has hurt Hip Hops reputation with non listeners more than anything, Hip Hop, both gangsta and not gangta, is still going strong so I say no for now.

1. 8.5/10

2. Jazz is usually best - Pete Rock and such

3. Try to be well rounded, but I listen to mostly 90s.

4. A little of everything, westcoast underground mainly.

5. No, I like gangster rap. Not all of it though. Other sub-genres in hip hop have flourished as well.

1) 2, not picky at all

2) If the beat meshes well with the person rapping. Mainly soulful R&B oldies, but any is fine

3) I try to listen to radio artists to less popular artists, to me there is no "real hip hop"

4) Im lacking 70's 80's-Early 90's

5) No, it's influenced more emotion today such as angry rap songs

Mobb Deep "Drink The Pain Away" (Girlfriend=Liquor)

1.I'm very picky to be honest. If I dont like the rappers voice, I cant really get into it.For example Canibus, he's a dope lyricis but I cant stand his voice. I'd say I'm probably a 9/10 in terms of being picky.

2.I look for pure hip-hop music. Great beats, great lyrics and a dope rapper.

3.Thats what I have been concentrating on a lot lately. I used to just listen to Tupac, Eminem or Nas. But Im trying to listen to all the other great rappers past and present, full albums. just now starting to get into Wu-Tang, Killa Sin, Ghostface, Scarface etc. BUT I am more of a 90s rap kind of person more then anything.

4.A lot, I think. I know a ton about Tupacs music but I really dont know much about an other rappers music besides maybe Eminem. Trying to divulge into other areas of hip-hop

5.I hope not. thats the kind of rap I grew up on and the kind I like the most. I just wish rap would go back to being more political, self awarness, gangsterish kind of music instead of this hip-pop that we have now.

Source(s): GREAT QUESTION

1. 1/10, I'll listen to any kind of hip-hop.

2. I prefer Jazz.

3. I listen to just 90's and 2000's.

4. Production.

5. I'll agree that it has somewhat.

1. 8/10

2. I don't have a definitive preference, but as long as it's good. Anything can be made good with a good producer and a good sample

3. Very well rounded. Except today, i don't listen to radio rap anymore.

4. The broad spectrum. I know a little here, little here. A lot there.

5. No. It keeps out fans of the type of music I hate. Those people who hate gangsta gave this new bullshit a try, and i hate it. I think gangsta rap weeds out casual listeners that influence music I don't want.