Anonymous

is 'the bell curve' by Harvard Psychologist Richard J. Herrnstein correct, (in your opinion)?

'the bell curve', is a book written by Harvard Psychologist Richard J. Herrnstein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

It states that race and intelligence is linked, and that on average asian people have higher IQs than white people who in turn have higher IQs than african americans.

It stated that the average IQ of African Americans is 85; Latinos 89; Whites 103; and Asians 106.

Intelligence has been defined in different ways, including the abilities for abstract thought, understanding, communication, reasoning, learning, planning, emotional intelligence and problem solving. These are natural abilities, not something that is learned, i.e. a person with a high IQ who has had little or poor education would still have a high IQ, while a person with a low IQ would still have a low IQ even if they were to receive a high quality of education.

So, do you agree with this controversial text, and if not then why not?

Afro-Queen - thank you for your response. One thing I notice about your answer is that it is entirely based on your experiences in UK. The bell curve was written in and about USA. Do you think that the situations in USA and UK in terms of this are different given the considerable differences between the two countries?

Favorite Answer

Yes i have learnt about it this in criminology, it was by that Richard guy and Charles Murray, no i dont agree with it. I have an IQ of 132 and i am black, white boys (in the UK) are the ones who fall behind academically esp when it comes to GCSEs so just those two points put the whole bell curve thing down the toilet. Even though i have met some intelligent asians (academically wise) the fact that they have such inferior complex to whites proves they aint that smart after all, i used to have a mongolian friend who used to copy off me in class.

From my experience, whites are not smarter than blacks, this is because blacks push themselves more when it comes to education, especially when they come from a different country and come to the UK (same with asians). whites take education for granted and dont give a crap, but even when some work hard they fall behind.

There are so many flaws with the bell-curve, social class and culture where not taken into consideration for one, the definition of intelligence is subjective and also different in different cultures

Source(s): I have never been to the US and i wasnt born at the time the bell-curve was published so i can only speak from my 19 years experience on this earth and what i have learnt. Its seems like America is a lot more open about racism than the UK, probably because of the "freedom of speech" you guys have

I don't agree. I've heard lots of scientists insist that there's no difference in intelligence. IQ is not very easy to measure, and it doesn't mean as much as we used to think. If you write a fake scientific book that justifies racism, you can sell a lot of copies to racists. But this is not legitimate peer-reviewed research.

Geneticists today tell us that what we call 'race' is completely illusory. We are all the same race--so similar that we have interchangeable parts. We are only really talking about color. It's an artificial distinction.

And even if you could prove that blacks were less intelligent than whites on average, an individual black might be very intelligent. So to use the difference as a justification to segregate in school admissions or jobs is just really unfair. And wrong.

Looks like the answers are fast being reported and deleted by some kiddo.

I think I saw 2 or 3 answers go like magic.

I would have to read the book to come to a valid conclusion on whether the book is accurate or not.

According to the vast majority of scientists, there is no link between race and IQ;

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2009/0...