Why do people choose to be Vegan/Vegetarian, when human nature is to eat meat?

I don't mean this in a nasty way, i'm just wondering why people choose to be...

------ Humanity would not have survived on sticks and nuts forever...

Favorite Answer

That's a myth. If you do research, people still question which diet is "natural".

Obviously *today* humans are omnivores, but that doesn't mean we were omnivores in the beginning of time. Actually we have many, many characteristics of herbivores, rather than omnivores.

If you really wanted to stick with "human nature", then go live out in the forest with no clothes or weapons. Find food yourself. Would you really take the time to find a cow, somehow kill it with your fingernails and teeth, peel it open and then eat it raw? Or pick an apple off a tree?

"Put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car."-Harvey Diamond

That speaks enough about human nature and eating meat.

Meat today is not what meat was centuries ago. A livestock animal is a genetically mutated meat machine that is pumped with hormones and antibiotics. Sorry, buts it not human nature to consume that sort of garbage in my opinion.

Also, vegans and vegetarians don't eat sticks. Chuck your ignorance at the door and try again.

Edit: Sorry Karina, I posted that quote too. Its such a good one though

Source(s): Vegetarian

Some of the strongest primates in the world are herbivores. I do it because of the inhumane way people treat the animals for factory farming as well as dairy farming. Plus studies show that 2/3 of Americans get too much protein which causes problems later on in life. Also, if 51% of the foods you eat are cooked, the body treats it as a foreign object and tries to attack it. When 51% of foods you eat are raw, this does not happen. Plus tofu is amazing. Ever try a vegan taco? Soooo good. Plus, meat is pumped with antibiotics and other things that can make you sick.

Source(s): Hope this helps :)

definite, some vegetarians and vegans take care of their way of existence as something religious. Others are fullyyt pragmatic about their nutritional possibilities. In any human organisation, a particular share of human beings turns into emotionally or spiritually invested, previous what is going to be seen "time-honored". try talking to someone who only only entered an habit restore software. Or how about someone who has only all started a sparkling workout software. Harry Potter followers. Twilight followers. How about activities? turn on the television and look at those followers who paint their bodies and sit 1/2-bare in 10 degree climate to video reveal a football interest. the position is THEIR head at? that is element of human psychological makeup for some human beings to grow to be emotionally linked to a concept and accordingly unable to imagine about it logically and dispassionately. Veg*ns no longer any diverse from something of humanity in that regard.

Originally it might have been better for humans to eat meat to survive but by now our bodies have evolved to be able to live off of other food sources. All Homo Sapiens are and always have been omnivores which means we can much eat meat, grains, fruits, and vegetables. As our resources grow and science becomes more advanced people figured out what humans need to survive (like specific nutritional facts including how much calcium, protein, vitamins, fat... humans need to live a healthy life.) I find that I can live easily as a ovo-vegetarian. I mean, yes I have protein powder every night and I have to take calcium chews but I feel its so much better than having animals die for my sake.

Also, milk is far from natural. We are the only animals to drink milk after babyhood. I find it quite creepy that we drink the food that is meant for babies on a daily basis.

Even if it wasnt healthy to be vegetarian i still think i would be one because of how cruel animals are treated these days. Humans demand to much meat that we have forced animals into tiny stalls and shoved steroids into them so we can produce tons of meat. It is disgusting how animals are treated.

Once you stop eating meat and it starts to look like a carcass, it smells bad and there's no way you could put it into your mouth, you will realize that it is NOT natural. Have you ever salivated over roadkill? Do you have claws to catch your cows and teeth to eat them raw? Do you have a small intestine tract like a tiger? I don't.

My body is amazing now after I switched to vegan. We have all been duped that milk does a body good. Did you know that the protiens in milk can suck the calcium from your bones? That doesn't sound very good to me.

When a human's flesh starts to look tasty, that's when you should be eating meat. I wouldn't make out with a cow, drink its milk or eat its skin. That's even more disgusting than eating a fellow human that wasn't pumped with hormones and disease, dropped into the drain where animals poop and people urinate and vomit and then sent to Tyson to be wrapped in its pretty little coffin. It really isn't natural. Not for me. I can tell you're wondering about it....go ahead...try it....see how you feel. I promise it's wonderful.

Source(s): vegan

Human nature is to evolve. We have been blessed with a sort of higher thinking. As we know better, we do better. We know today that veganism is healthy is sustainable in every respect, so many people choose to be vegan.

• Suzy Q

Because nature has no place in moral debate.

The point is not whether or not it is biologically speaking natural to eat meat. There are plenty of things that are natural but which we choose not to do because we consider them to be morally wrong. The question is whether or not we decide to eat meat given the fact that it is not necessary to do so in order to stay healthy.

Because they love animals

Because they want to lose weight.

Because they don't like the taste of meat and/or are allergic to dairy products.

There are hundreds of different reasons why people become vegan.

How come my dog doesn't eat my bird,cat or guinea pigs when it's in his nature to kill them?

As far as I know if we were intended to eat meat, we would not have to cook it first and we would have a nice large and intimating set of canines. Human jaws are not designed to tear raw meat, however more like designed to ground food with all the molars in our mouth.

I am not vegetarian and love my meat but everything in moderation and I think it is the excess of meat that is futile to our health.

PS: Let's not forget sugar starts as vegetable ;)