as a christian...is it okay to study psychology?

This fall I'll be attending a christian university and I thought about taking a minor in psycology but then I remembered that the human spirit is reserved onto god.The human spirit is composed of psychology,philosophy and religion.The way I understand,there are some things we have no business trying to expand our knowledge in because it could mean tapping into our human spirit. Am I right? No lukewarm christains please,only saved christains respond.

Best Answer

No, itis not okay to study Psychology. You are correct that it is a study of a human wisdom. That is, in fact, exactly how it started. Freud and Jung and the rest of their little weekly meeting group had studied/practiced a whole assortment of philosophies etc. Freuds baby was mesmerism (hypnosis). Freud hated his mother, a Jewess. Jung hated his Dad, a Prebyterian minister. They complied it exactly to "destroy all the worlds major monotheistic religions.' That's quoting Freud from his book (when translated into English) "The Future of an Illusion." So, a Christian studying Psychology is like them studying witchcraft. What no one ever pays attention to about how Focus on the Family founder Dr, Dobson is that he was never able to help his own mother with her depression. Not a mystery. He was throwing witchcraft at her instead of either one of them staying true to Christ. Christianity is that Christ is sufficient. That Scripture is sufficient. Yes, God leads people to other human beings for help, such as doctors. But Psychology enslaves. God does not wish any of us to be enslaved. In most States, any MD, even NP's can prescribe all anyone really needs. It does not have to be mixed with a completely new set of "sins". Their manuel of sins does not include homosexuality and it grows every year. What began with something like 48 Mental illness diagnosis now takes volumnes. The 10 commandments are not even in there! This used to be known by just an offshoot of Believers who knew it was wrong but now it's kind of like Christians knowing observing Halloween is just plain wrong. The Master's College does accredited college without Psychology in it's curriculum. One of the Southern Baptist Seminaries took all Psychology classes out of it's curriculum. At The King's University's, in its Messianic Jewish Theology program there are no Psychology classes at all. More and more Christians are waking up to what and why so many Churches are doing far more for Satan than they are for Christ. Just a few Christian resources, compared to what exists on this subject, can be found (for free) at:

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/bksonline.html

They are online for free because of the ministry and work of Martin and Deidre Bobgan. What their ministry is against mostly is Psychotherapy. Martin holds 4 accredited University degrees. His wife has one too. Neither one of them holds their opinions becasue of being stupid as we are most often accused of. Martin discovered what Psychtherapy is really into and doing by assuming that's what he should study back when he first got started in college too. It's not just Christians who know the stuff is all wrong for treatiing humans in distress (and not even in distress). Secular material abounds also on the subject. Even two years ago there was no such word as antipsychology. Put that in Google now and there are pages. Psychology/Psychologists/Psychiatrists do a major amount of harm, not only to human individuals but families and whole nations too. An emmense amount of permanent placements on our federal Social Security Disability rolls got there as Psychiatrists learning experiences. How do you think they learn all they have? By their mistakes. And we pay for that for the rest of their victims lives. Then, wonder why the US/UK has economic problems. Divorce has only skyrocketted. As have the foster care rolls and dementia. And Pastors/Rabbis just keep on abdicating the flocks of God into their hands. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iatrogenesis

To answer your question, It is okay to study Psy. I am pursuing a degree in Life Coaching and it is based upon a Psychology format. But before I discovered this career path, I was going to pursue a Psychology degree and after i graduated college, return back to school to get my masters and so forth and so forth (I wanted to beomce a Christian Counselor). But I complained to God soooo many times about the classes I was taking, etc! I was like God i know this is my calling Lord by why must I go through these classes?? All they ask is Why Why Why..They question everything! I was in constant pray with Him and before I began praying to Him, I was so stressed out! But God gave me another way, one that I had no idea about! Life Coaching! Although it is still on a Psy format, I don't have to take as many Psy classes. But to tell you the truth, when I took my General Psy class, I actually liked it because whenever I had the chance I stood up for what I believed in and I learned so much! I suggest praying to the Lord and asking Him first, if it is best to take classes like that, but also if there is no way going around them, I would pray for the strength to endure it until your time is finished in the class. Either way, as long as you put God first, you shouldn't have any problems getting answers!

Modern psychology is very hostile to religion in general, and christianity in particular. There's nothing inherently wrong with the subject as a field of study, just try to take things with a grain of salt and not accept everything you hear or read at face value. Try to find some resources from or about christian psychologists--- there are more of them out there than you think.

Good luck!

Most definitely.

The study of psychology can be used to help fellow human beings.

My college room mate (at a Christian university) is studying psychology to become a Christian counselor.

As a Christian i would say yes, i plan to do so myself in the future.

But Christian Fundamentalists claim that psychology can be evil, and that things like hypnoses are tools of the enemy Satan.

I'm dead serious too, I've been scolded by fundamentalists for talking about psychology.

YEAH OF COURSE! And what they mean of "unlocking the human spirit" doesn't mean like you discover a way to control or do magic on it, it just means like you discover how the human mind and soul works in a way of life. Plus I don't think god would be angry just because you are better understanding the mind, not like you are committing murder or anything. And its even better that you are christian cause psychology involves listening on other peoples' problems, and since you have faith you can actually keep yourself from getting depressed

If you're going to a Christian university go for it! I went to a secular one and took a psych class and I never encountered a time were I questioned or was questioned about the validity of my faith. Psych is super fun too, learning about the brain is just learning more about God's creations and seeing how incredible he is. Don't worry, you'll never be able to find out the things we have no business in knowing. Enjoy college!

It can be presented from a Christians perspective, if it incorporates the Biblical concept of humanity - being a spirit, soul and body. Typically , psychology, which is the study of the psuche = soul, fails to take into account the spiritual nature of man, and too often treats him as if he were merely an intelligent animal.

You could find sound teaching addressing the full nature of man at this site....

http://www.derekprince.org/

Do you have a problem with modern medicine? No? Then why would you have a problem with psychology? At the core of every mental illness is a physical or chemical problem within the brain. The spirit is something else entirely.

It is A OK

Maybe more could see some of the "psychology" hidden in the scriptures

I know it hasn't hurt me, quite the contrary

(of course nay sayers will say "brainwashed")

Peace

Source(s): In a gentle way, you can shake the world.