Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 9 years ago

Can you wash pillows (bed pillows that you sleep on) in the washing machine?

And I mean pillows, not pillow cases :) So, is it okay to put pillows in the washing machine, and if so, what is the best water temperature and cycle for them? Like, should I put them on the casual or normal cycle, and a delicate or a heavier cycle? And is it okay to put more than one in the washer at one time? And should you dry them on the delicate cycle too? Thanks, and I don't have feather pillows, they are just regular pillows.

Favorite Answer

Read the tags on the pillows and make sure they are OK to be washed. Some have tags that say to spot clean only. It's best to put 2 pillows in the wash to balance the load. I use hot water because they don't washed as often as the bedding and I want to kill whatever might be lurking on them. If your washer had a "bedding" setting, use that. If not, a regular wash cycle is good.

Put them in the dryer either with a tennis ball or a clean sneaker. This will help to fluff them.

Washing Bed Pillows

I always have, but there are a few ideas to keep your pillows from loosing shape or getting lumpy... ideally the best method I think is in a front loaders that has a delicate or even hand wash cycle as they are much more gentle than the top loaders. But don't be dismayed, if you have a top loader there is a really great way to wash pillows: fill the machine and soak the pillows stop the machine from agitating unless you have an extremely gentle cycle. Soak for at least 15 minutes at a lukewarm temperature unless cold water wash is mentioned on the pillow tag. After soaking skip the agitation cycle and set it to spin on low speed for a brief time, then repeat with clean, cold rinse water( again skipping the agitation and using the spin of low for only as long as needed to remove excess water. If you can lay the pillow to air dry on a mesh netting in the heat of the sunshine, you'll find it helps to not only freshen and purify your pillow but it'll cut down on drying time, expect it to be damp for a day or two.

This can also be done without using the washer by soaking in a bathtub or laundry basin too... but then you'd need to squeeze the pillow with a large absorbent towel.

Just remember to avoid the friction, that's what turns a comfy pillow into a clumps of lumps.

If your pillow concern is just the outer surface and not the fibre inside then simply wipe the outer fabric with a wet soapy cloth, rinse quickly and hang it on the line.

• suter

Wash Pillows

• I have washed pillows in the washing machine on gentle cycle. Make sure there is enough water in the machine to cover the pillows while washing them. I would dry them in the dryer on high heat to make sure they get dried enough. I put a pair of tennis shoes or sneakers in the dryers with the pillow or pillows. I would not wash or dry more than two pillows at a time.

Some pillows are washable and some aren't. Even some poly filled ones can't be washed and some feather pillows can. Check their tags to see if they are washable. If so, cold water, gentle cycle is best with a warm dry cycle, not hot.

If they are too stinky to use anymore, and they don't have tags, give it a try, the worst that can happen is they get ruined, but if they need cleaning then it's a chance you might want to take.

• Laurie

BGH says to put big stuffed animals and or pillows in a ziplock like plastic bag, and put in freezer for couple of hours. The cold temperature will kill all the germs, mites and bacteria. Consider getting washable decorative pillowcases. my boyfriend is also allergic but i usually change the pillow cases twice a week and he is fine with that.

It depends, if they're smaller pillows like throw pillows then yes , but if it's like a pillow you have on your bed, then no. I tried to do this once and my dad wouldn't let me because he said it would damage the washing machine, don't know if that's true or not, but just to be safe I wouldn't risk it:P

• BJ

read the tag i wash my down pillows and they say dry clean only and I put tennis balls when i dry them to reditribute the feather and to bounce the water out of them,same with the down coat or comforter

wash two at a time on gentel or normal cycle, dont use too much soap or they will hold onto it. dry on high in the dryer, it may take a cycle and a half to dry.