Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

long range rifle shooting range estimation?

I'm new to scopes and will be getting a .22 LR CZ 452 American and a Tasco 3-9x40 scope 30/30 recticle. At what range should I zero this scope at the will work for close range shooting and how can I estimate distance without mil-dot or range-finder. Is there a binocular with mil-dot you can recommend? And advise for a newbie?

• DJ
    Best Answer

First off, I would recommend sighting in at 50yrds, then once you get comfortable with the rifle, extend out to a 100yrd zero. In general, the effective range for a .22lr is about 50yrds, but skilled marksman can deliver accurate shots to 100yrds with a .22lr, especially the CZ 452 (now replaced by the CZ 455). Be sure to make an accurate range card for your rifle and load (i.e. a recipe card with the different drops for different ranges written on it taped to the side of your stock) so you can quickly reference the proper hold over for different ranges while you're in the field. A .22lr with a 100yrd zero will strike 4" above zero at 50yrds and 6" BELOW zero at 125yrds, so having an accurate field card is critical, you'll need to be able to estimate your range to within 10yrds in order to accurately estimate the drop of your bullet at that range. Small game targets don't leave much margin for error, so being 3" off target might still kill a deer cleanly, but being 3" off on a squirrel is a total miss.

Secondly, there are several ways to learn how to estimate range. For example, if you do a lot of Known Distance (KD) shooting, you can begin to reference the size of different objects at those distances, for example, how tall a fence post appears in your scope at 50yrds, or 100yrds, or how big an 8" target appears against your cross hairs at 50yrds, or 100yrds. You can use multiples of a known distance, like reference the length of your house and estimate how many "houses" away your target is. If my house is 50ft long, and my target is 3 "houses" away, then it's about 150ft, or 50yrds. Estimating by football fields is a good option too, except that in general, a .22lr shooter will never shoot beyond ONE football field, so the scale is just too big.

Buying a laser rangefinder will help you speed up your learning curve. With a laser rangefinder, ANY target will become a KD target, so you can eyeball the target, guess the range, then double check with the rangefinder to see how close your estimate was.

Another option is to use your scope. While I HIGHLY recommend against the Tasco scope, the 30/30 reticle DOES offer some rangefinding ability (as do ALL "plex" style reticles). When set on 4x, the distance between the points/bars on the reticle wires is 30MOA (30" at 100yrds, 15" at 50yrds, 60" at 200yrds). If you know the height of an object, you can reference it's size against the reticle and calculate it's range. For example, a squirrel's tail is about 6" long. With the scope on 4x, if the tail fills the gap between the points (30MOA), you'll know the target is 20yrds away.

(Size of target in inches) / (30") * 100yrds = (Range of target)

For targets that DON'T fit exactly into the gap between the bars, then you can use a ratio to correct this equation. For example, if the squirrel's tail only fills HALF of the gap between the bars, i.e. it reaches from one bar to the center of the crosshairs, add a factor of .5 to the above equation, to calculate that the range of the squirrel is 40yrds. If the target fills half of the gap, then the ratio number is 0.5. If it is twice the size of the gap, the ratio is 2.

(Size of target in inches) / (30") / (ratio that target fills gap) * 100yrds = (Range of target)

6" squirrel tail / 30" gap / fills 0.5 of gap * 100yrds = 40yrds.

For range estimation at different magnification powers, you must also use ANOTHER correction factor. Tasco CLAIMS (although I do NOT believe it) that they have a linear zoom, so the size of the target at 4x is half as big as it would be on 8x. The reference magnification for this scope is 4x, so you must use a ratio of the NEW power against 4x. If you're shooting at 9x, then you multiply by 9 /4ths, shooting at 3x, you multiply by 3/4ths. Now the equation becomes:

(Size of target in inches) / (30") / (ratio that target fills gap) * (magnification setting divided by 4) * (100yrds) = (range of target).

So if I'm shooting a squirrel with a 6" tail with the scope set on 9x and the tail fills 1/2 of the gap between the bars of the scope:

6" tail / 30" gap / 1/2 * 9x/4x * 100yrds = 90yrds.

Remember, this equation will work for ANY scope with a linear zoom and a reticle with a known gap. This is the same equation used for Second Focal Plane Mil-Dot scopes (SFP), just adapted to a 30MOA gap between bars, instead of a 1 Mil gap between dots.

Source(s): I'm an avid shooter and know a thing or two about range estimation...

Mil Dot Range Estimation

For the .22 LR, I'd suggest a zero at 50 yards max. Between the muzzle and 50 yards the height of the bullet above the line of sight should be less than 2". The way you word this is a bit confusing...are you also shooting a 30/30? If so, I'd zero this at 100 yards. Drop at 150 yards (about max killing range for that cartridge on deer-sized animals) should be around 2 or 3 inches and the mid-range height should be less than 2 inches. Check the actual performance on your own rifle. And do a bit of reading to familiarize yourself with scope sights and the performance of bullets and calibers. Always more helpful than the information you get here.

It's a 22 LR. Mil dot or range finder? Good grief! Long range for a 22 is anything past 50 meters. Rein in your expectations. Your eyeballs and some practice will be all you want, and it'll do you some good learning to judge distances.

• Neil6 years agoReport

Totally agree, .22 for me is only accurate out to about 80yrds ish then the round falls away and pretty much lands how it pleases. I started measuring distance in steps one is roughly a yrd, my personal opinion is that if anyone can be accurate with a .22 past 80-90 yards it's mainly fibs ; )

• Irv S

A .22 RF is 'useful' to about 75 Yd.s.

The following applies to my high mounted scope and .22 H.V. 40gr ammo:

50': +1/2" 25Yd.s: '0', 50Yd.s: +1", 60 Yd.s: '0', 75 yd.s: -1 1/4", 100Yd.s: -6"

With a lower mounted scope, you might prefer to zero at 20 Yd.s or so.

Do work out your own 'range card' for your rifle, and the ammo you use.

As to range estimates, by the time you've shot the targets you need to

shoot at measured distances to write up your range card, you'll be able

to eyeball distances out to 100 yd.s close enough.

Source(s): Old Target Shooter

don't listen to anyone telling you that you have too much scope, i use a 4-16x40 hitting 700 yard targets with my savage mk2-f. but if you're only going to be shooting ~100 yards, zero it at 50, it will then also be zeroed at 25 yards and only have about 1 or 2 inch hold under between, and depending on if you're using subsonic or high velocity ammo, hold over after that is about an inch every 10 yards up to 100 and 2 inches every 10 yards to 120 and 3 every 10 to 140 after that you need your own calculator. binoculars do not have mil dots at all. if you want mils, i suggest the $60 center-point at your nearest Walmart. but if you're wanting to estimate distances, go to wherever you would be shooting and mark out distances of certain objects from where you would be every 10-15 yards and get familiar with it

Source(s): been going to the range every 2 weeks just for long range and short range transitions using a .22
  • ?

STOP! You've got way too much scope on that gun! Years of experience with 22 rimfire rifles and scopes have taught me that you seldom, if ever, need anything larger than 4X magnification, and FIXED magnification at that.

I zero my 22 LR scopes to hit dead-on at 60 yards. On larger targets, this yields an effective MPBR all the way out to 70 yards. If you're interested in hitting things the size of dimes with a 22 LR, I'd suggest you keep all your shots inside 75-80 yards. Once you pass 80 yards with a 22 LR the groups really start to open up. (Even with Eley!)

After you get up around 6X magnification your field of view is going to start getting smaller and smaller - Not good for the close fast shooting hunters usually do with a 22 LR. On a 22 LR, 9X is simply a waste of magnification. Learn to estimate distances by, 'Kentucky yardage'.

Years of doing this have taught me to simply look at a target and know where I have to hold. I can do this all the way out to 300 yards. (If I normally shot at greater distances, I'd learn, PDQ, how to do that too.) If you want to learn how: Set targets out at different distances, take a firm hold on your gun, control your breathing, and squeeze off shots over several different distances. You'll soon see where the bullets are hitting.

Suggest you find yourself a decent 4X fixed power scope and fit it with a pair of, 'see-through' mounts. I have both of my 22 caliber rimfires setup with 1 inch diameter Leupold scopes fitted to the guns with Redfield clamp-on, see-through mounts. This setup works very well for me.

WARNING: There's some really crappy, 'internet advice' in the replies to this question - Really crappy! (Ya got 'a remember: On the internet everyone's an expert!)

Source(s): http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22ballistics.htm... Certified Riflery Instructor AND expert class rifle marksman

A laser rangefinder works very well.

The BSA Sweet .22 scope works very well for dialing in the range.

Practice is essential for shooting at various ranges.

30 30 Reticle

Cheap 3-9-50 scopes niko or something like that you won't be afraid to use them in the rain and that's all you need for a .22 my opinion anyway