I want to open a bank account for my nephew as a christening gift, is this possible?

Instead of getting the usual gift that will never be used I would rather put some money away for him. It doesn't have to be a bank account but something that I can put in his name. I have had a look at some Bank's children's accounts but they all seem to be geared towards the parents opening them. Any... show more Instead of getting the usual gift that will never be used I would rather put some money away for him. It doesn't have to be a bank account but something that I can put in his name. I have had a look at some Bank's children's accounts but they all seem to be geared towards the parents opening them. Any ideas of what I can do?
Update: Thanks for your help but its all very last minute and I don't have his birth cert.. Baptism is next week in England and at the moment I am in Ireland so no chance of getting documents on time.. Any other idea's?