How to open your own bank account(college student)?

I currently have a joint account that my dad co-opened with me at Bank of America when I was 18. Although this is well and good and a little better than my situation before-was only given allowance in cash, was not allowed to have a job for fear it will interfere with my studies, and did not have a bank... show more I currently have a joint account that my dad co-opened with me at Bank of America when I was 18. Although this is well and good and a little better than my situation before-was only given allowance in cash, was not allowed to have a job for fear it will interfere with my studies, and did not have a bank account-I'm still beginning to resent the situation. Long story short the amount of control they have over the money that is only mine coupled with their over-protectiveness and the contradictions in which they speak are going to drive me insane if I dont' change at least something.

So, can yahoo answers, hopefully someone in California, tell me how the basics about how open a bank account as a college student(to be senior next year?). I am open to any bank, and would like to get checking, savings, and a debit card.

Hopefully its not true that everything has to be co-owned by the parents right...