Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Catholics: Are we the only?

"true" religion. People tell me all the time that Catholicism was founded by Jesus and that the rest were all man-made. Does that make it the truth? Why do Jehovah Witnesses say they are the truth when they are on the opposite end of the spectrum than us with everything?

And my last question is, as Catholics we believe mortal sin must be confessed in Reconciliation. Well what happens to other Christians who don't have that sacrament? They say they confess to God, but we believe you have to confess it in reconciliation to be removed of it.

A lot of you guys got it all wrong. Catholics are the largest denomination so I have to believe it is the truth. WE pray to the saints because they are all in heave now and next to the Lord so they can use their power to pray for us and talk to God better than we can. If it is so false then why after I come out of confession why do I feel so clean of my sins? I feel the Holy Spirit right away. Its whatever believe what you guys want, but I believe we are the truth.

I LOVE BEING A CATHOLIC!! <3 <3 <3 GREAT PEOPLE, GREAT FISH FRIES, STATUES IN THE CHURCH THAT BRING ME VISUALS OF OUR LORD AND MARY... JUST GREAT LENTEN AND ADVENT SEASONS WITH EVERYONE. IT IS SO MUCH FUN. WE TRULY ENCOMPASS THE LORD. :-)

I LOVE YOUR ANSWERS CATHOLICS! :-) THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! I AM 20 YEARS OLD AND I AM HAPPY MY PARENTS RAISED ME CATHOLIC. I WOULDN'T WANT THINGS ANY OTHER WAY. :-)

Favorite Answer

Greetings,

Asking people for their personal opinions has very little value. Instead of seeking such subjective speculations true value would be found in looking at objective evidence. That is, we should get God's viewpoint by looking within His Word the Bible for the criteria which identifies true Christians. The Bible always indicates that there would be One True religion opposed to many false ones (Mat. 7:15-19 ;2 Cor. 6:14-17; 1 Cor. 10:21).

Specifically the reasons you cite for believing Catholicism is the truth is flawed. Just because it claims to be the largest is no evidence that it is true Christianity (Mt.7:13)!! Catholicism was NOT founded by Jesus and its list of Apostolic successors is a myth.

The Bible does teach that there is "one Lord and one faith" and "one body" of believers (Eph 4:3-6; 2:16; Rm.12:5; Jude 3-4). "One body" in scriptures indicate a unity in purpose and togetherness. In Hebrew and Greek the term "congregation" (QAHAL, ECCLESIA) always denotes an organized body or group. Christ showed that we would be able to identify True Christians and they would be separated from the weeds or false Christians at "the conclusion of the system of things...and the righteous ones would then shine as brightly as the sun" (Mt.13:24-30,36-43; Dan.12:1,3,10; Mal.3:18).

Now, what are the Scriptural evidence we can use in identifying the one true religion? These are not complicated.

Scriptures say true worshipers could be identified in at least three main ways: Love, Truth (Jn.4:23; 17:17), and Fruitage (Mt.7:16ff). Conversely, by these we can also identify the false.

The True religion would be primarily known for it's love toward all (Jn.13:34,35; 1Jn.3:10-12; 4:7,8). This would include their enemies (Mt.5:44-48; Rm.12:17-20; 1Pt.2:21-23; 3:8- 9). It would not participate in or condone carnal war (2Cor.10:3,4; Isa.2:4).

Apply this basic evidence to what happened in both world wars and current conflicts. People of the same religions met on battlefields and slaughtered one another because of nationalistic differences. Each side claimed to be Christian, and each side was supported by its clergy, who claimed that God was on their side. The definition of a "Christian" is "one who does what Christ would do": WWJD (1Pt.2:21). That slaughter of "Christian" by "Christian" is rotten fruitage. It is a denial of any claim to being the true Church (cf. Mt.26:52). No Christian would continue to associate with these religions (Rev.18:4).

Another evidence is that the true religion would be made up of people who would all be in agreement on doctrine. It would not have members who believe differently on abortion, war, homosexuality or morals. Its members would not "agree to disagree" (1Cor.1:10; 2Cor.13:11; Phil.1:27). True Christians would be separated from the world by "truth" from God's Word the Bible (Jn.17:17; 4:23). All its teachings would be based on the Bible (2Tim.3:14-16; Gal.1:8, 9).

The true religion would have a reputation for promoting exceptional morality in its members (1Cor.6:9,10; Eph.5:3-5; 2Pt.3:14; 2Cor.7:1; 2Tim.3:5). Does a religion *require* their congregation members to live moral lives, not allowing practicers of homosexuality, fornication, or adultery to be accepted members of their congregation? Or do they turn a blind eye? If so, their "fruitage" would show they are not true Christians.

Doctrinal and moral standards would be assured from within by removing the unrepentant from association (1Cor.5:11-13; 2Thes.3:6; Tit.3:10-11; Mt.18:17).

True Christians would be associated with God's name: (Jn.17:3,6,26; Ac.15:14/Isa.55:5; 1Pt.2:9/Ex.19:4-5; Ps.83:18). They would not use Bibles which have removed the Most Holy Divine Name of God. Replacing the Divine Name with the common noun "Lord" cannot be justified by any translational principles so it is a blatant "subtraction" from God's word which brings a curse on anyone who approves it (Rev.22:18).

The true Church would be engaged in an unprecedented teaching activity (Mt 24:14, 28:19,20). Witnesses right now are performing the greatest Bible education work ever done in all human history!

There are more scripture evidences, however these are plenty to show which religion meets the requirements of being the True religion.

Apostate Christianity has neither the spiritual strength nor the support of God's holy spirit to motivate people to follow the truthful teachings of Jesus Christ. For this reason, the result in Christendom is not true Christianity but counterfeit believers, "weeds" unfit for the Kingdom.-Mt.13:24ff.

I have examined almost every religion and I have not seen another one whose members as a whole "practice what they preach," or even unitedly agree on what they should preach. I believe that only Jehovah's Witnesses can meet these requirements.

Sincerely,

BAR-ANERGES

• T Dog

Well if the Church was founded by Jesus, how can it not be the truth (by the way I am a fellow Catholic Christian). I think what you need to do is look all of this information on this website.

Catholic.com.

There are way to many liars and this site that will give you lies just to get out of the Church (when in fact most of these people know little about the Church). Tebone gave you a good answer though :)

Loving Wolfeblayde's answer too :)

Anyone who claims to be like the original can very easily be verified by reading the Church Fathers. That's what makes us different than every other denomination claiming to be like the original and claiming to be truth. We can back it up history, that's how you know! Catholics consider the Church Fathers to be Catholic. The irony is radical protestants such as Fundies claim the Catholic Church didn't start until 400 AD. Although I disagree, I say good, we can look at these guys to validate Catholic vs. Protestant or any other cult that claims to be truth.

Church Fathers on the Eucharist from a Catholic resource

http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/father/fat...

Church Fathers on Baptism from a Lutheran resource

http://www.orlutheran.com/html/baptevid.html

Church Fathers on the Trinity from a Fundy anti-Catholic site. All agree on the Trinity, but I cite this to show Fundies born-agains use the Church Fathers when it is to their advantage and then ramble about bible-only theology when they don't like what the Church Fathers say. Note some of the same individuals are cited here as in the other citations.

http://carm.org/early-trinitarian-quotes

• Isa

• Misty

<<Are we the only "true" religion.>>

Yes.

After the Protestant Reformation, many people were raised with the idea that their own personal interpretation of scripture is infallible. This has given rise to tens of thousands of denominations and and faith groups who believe they have the truth.

However, Jesus only established one Church, one faith. That Church, is the Catholic Church. This can be proved by early Christian writings, and historical fact.

• Ryan

Instead of addressing the entire Catholic faith I'll address one of the central doctrines of Catholic faith: Trinity.

WHY, for thousands of years, did none of God's prophets teach his people about the Trinity? At the latest, would Jesus not use his ability as the Great Teacher to make the Trinity clear to his followers? Would God inspire hundreds of pages of Scripture and yet not use any of this instruction to teach the Trinity if it were the "central doctrine" of faith?

Are Christians to believe that centuries after Christ, and after having inspired the writing of the Bible, God would back the formulation of a doctrine that was unknown to his servants for thousands of years, one that is an "inscrutable mystery" "beyond the grasp of human reason," one that admittedly had a pagan background and was "largely a matter of church politics"?

The testimony of history is clear: The Trinity teaching is a deviation from the truth, an apostatizing from it.

More information: http://watchtower.org/e/ti/index.htm

Anyone can read the history about how the trinity doctrine was formed. It wasn't created by Jesus or the apostles. It didn't exist until several hundred years after John, the last remaining apostle, died. Its creation was also prompted by pagan Roman emperors to keep religious schisms from destroying their empire. It was completely rejected by many and took about a hundred years to finally cement itself as a doctrine.

What do Jehovah's Witnesses believe about God and Christ? The following is found on http://watchtower.org/e/201008/article_04.htm

The Creator.

The true God has given himself a personal name—Jehovah (or Yahweh, as used in the Roman Catholic Jerusalem Bible and preferred by some modern-day scholars)—that distinguishes him from false gods. (Psalm 83:18) Jehovah’s Witnesses did not coin the name “Jehovah.” Many centuries ago, God’s name was rendered “Jehovah” in a number of non-Biblical languages, including English and German. Sadly, some modern-day Bible translators have replaced the divine name with titles, such as “God” and “Lord,” thus showing gross disrespect for the Author of the Bible. The Hebrew form of the divine name appears some 7,000 times in the original text of the Scriptures. Stressing the importance of that name, Jesus said in his model prayer: “Hallowed be thy name.” (Matthew 6:9, King James Version) God rightly demands exclusive devotion. Hence, the Witnesses use no icons or images in their worship.—1 John 5:21.

Jesus Christ.

He is the Savior, “the Son of God,” and “the firstborn of all creation.” (John 1:34; Colossians 1:15; Acts 5:31) As a created being, he is not part of a Trinity. “The Father is greater than I am,” said Jesus. (John 14:28) Jesus lived in heaven before coming to earth, and after his sacrificial death and resurrection, he returned to heaven. “No one comes to the Father except through [him].”—John 14:6.

Witnesses don't base their beliefs on human traditions. All of our beliefs are found in God's word the Bible. Anyone is welcome to look up the scriptures in their Bibles to see what God says.

Source(s): A witness of Jehovah (Isaiah 43:10)

My friend, I'm a Jehovah's Witness and the reason we believe we have the truth is because we use the bible to determine our faith. If you have ever spoken to a Jehovah Witness you will notice that everything we say we back it with several scriptures, all in harmony with each other. I was raised a baptise but when I started personally reading the bible for myself and really trying to understand it that's when it became clear. If you really want to know the truth pray for understanding and know matter what anyone says follow your heart.

If you have any questions regarding our faith please don't hesitate to contact me

Hope the best for you

You know, I used to try the diplomatic approach when dealing with this subject. "Protestants are our separated brothers and sisters in Christ, still Christian despite the lack of valid sacraments, yadda yadda yadda. . ."

Well, the tact and diplomacy gloves are off now, thanks to the pure D-ignorance and arrogance of fundamentalists. In answer to your questions:

Yes, Catholicism is the only Church who can trace her origins directly back to the days of Jesus Christ, her Founder and Lord. Yes, we are the only Church who has the spiritual authority of apostolic succession and thus, valid sacraments. Yes, Catholicism is the true religion, just as Christ intended when He created our Faith.

Jehovah's Witnesses wouldn't know the "truth" if it bit them in the BVD's. Their doctrines change about as often as most people change the aforementioned BVD's. They are a cult, plain and simple.

Ditto other quasi-Christian groups such as the Seventh Day Adventists, "Four Square"** churches, etc.

And as far as what happens to other Christians who commit mortal sin and yet have no recourse to the Sacrament of Reconciliation and Penance, that is between them and God. We can pray for them and ask God to have mercy on them. The rest is not for us to know.

So bring on the thumbs-down, folks. I will enjoy each and every one of them as if they were fine diamonds or a sip of rare wine. I'm tired of trying to respect your beliefs while you continue to spit on mine.

** Edit

It's been brought to my attention that Foursquare churches are considered to be fully Christian. I knew a former Foursquare pastor and church members who were threatened and harassed, both before and after leaving the denomination. That's classic cult behavior, and that is what I based my assessment on, rather than their theology.

I apologize to any Foursquare members whose churches do not fit that description. I also want to thank the person who corrected me on this subject.

The rest of my post stands as originally written.

Source(s): Catholic convert
  • carl

I suggest you read the catechism of the Catholic Church. see http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm

The CC has always maintained that, "Outside the Church there is no salvation". However, since Vatican II this has been stated in a more positive way.

"Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

"Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men.""

(CCC 846 - 848)

The point is that the CC knows only the way of salvation that has been given to it by Jesus. That is through baptism and the other sacraments that are necessary to abide in Christ. For example, the sacrament of the Eucharist helps us to abide in Christ - "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him." (Jn 6:56). The sacrament of baptism is necessary for salvation (Mk 16:16, 1 Pt 3:21, etc). The sacrament of confession was mandated by Christ himself (Jn 20:23). The Church was given authority through the apostles (Mt 16:18-19, Jn 20:23, etc), who designated bishops in succession through the laying on of hands ( Acts 1:20, 1 Tim 4:14, 2 Tim 2:2, etc).

Thus, to reject those things, to reject baptism, or to reject the Eucharist is the same as rejecting Christ.

However, to those 'non-Catholic' Christians the Church teaches that if they have a valid baptism they are baptized into the Catholic Church and are in at least partial communion with the Church. They may not even know it or want to believe it. So if they are to be saved it is still through the Church, the Body of Christ. However, to knowingly reject the fullness of truth found in the Catholic Church, even as a baptized believer, is still to reject Christ. That is, if the Lord offered them the grace to see that the Catholic Church is Christ's Church, but they chose to reject that grace and refused to enter the Church then they will be judged for that by the Lord. In other words it is the Lord, not us, who determines their heart and salvation.

We can not force someone to see the truths of the Catholic faith. And we can not judge them if they don't. Just because I said to someone the catholic church is the true church and they walked away and said 'yah right', does not necessarily mean that they have rejected Christ. Because, they may not be aware of the truth of my statement. This requires God's grace to show them and their hearts open to hear, not just me telling them. They may not have yet received the grace to see the truth of that statement. We can not expect people to just believe everything we say. That's not how conversion happens. If their hearts are open to Christ then he can show them the way into the fullness of truth.

God Bless

• Brian

Most Trinitarians believe Catholics are a cult.

Funny, huh?