Anon
Lv 5
Anon asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

Worried about depression but don't want to see doctor?

Recently I have been experiencing a few symptoms of depression, but I don't want to see my GP for 2 reasons, the first is that it's embarrassing, and the second is that I don't want to seem like an idiot if it's not depression.

Do any over the counter anti-depressants actually work? If not what should I do instead?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling.

I think you should check out this website called http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/

It’s a very understanding and supportive website that deals with many problems including self-harm, depression, eating disorders (including overeating), addictions (such as drug and alcohol) anxiety (&& panic attacks, including anxiety disorders like OCD), suicide attempts, feelings and thoughts, bullying and abuse (including sexual and emotional abuse), trauma, family and friends problems, relationship issues and general mental health problems such as personality disorders, bipolar disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, general thoughts and feelings, ect.

You can post about your problems and gain advice and support, it’s full of caring people who are going through the same things as you are in a complete non-judgemental atmosphere, you feel a lot less alone and you don’t get stupid answers or the old ’snap out of it’, ’stop being stupid’ comments you get on Yahoo Answers. You can also reply to other people and give them support, advice and share your stories and makes tons of new friends that you can open up to and trust. Already there are over 34,000 registered members.

They have an ‘Introductions’ forum where you can tell everyone a bit about yourself when you first sign up, you get very warm-welcoming messages to help you settle in and find your way around the site and answer any questions you may have.

They also have ‘General Chat’ forum where you can talk about things that aren’t related to mental health, such as polls, humour and chit-chat. Also, News & debates forum where you can catch up on all the news, and give your opinions.

The website also includes ‘Fun and Distractions’ Share jokes, funny sites, quizzes or useful distractions to help you relax and distract yourself with.

Also they have separate forums for certain things, such as Eating Disorder Support, Self-Injury Support, Mental Health Discussions, Ranting && Venting, Serious Discussion (such as suicide), Moving Forward (recovery based), and much more.

They even have a ‘Shop’ where you can buy bracelets that represent recovery with Self-Harm and Eating Disorders. Also, they have a ‘Games Arcade’ where you can play games to keep yourself distracted such as Pac-Man and Super Mario.

The website also contains lots of information, how to get help, beating urges, articles to read, advice, first aid, chat (like msn with others who are suffering), Live Help (one-2-one counselling - these people are not trained counsellors, but people who are normal members of the site but go that little bit further to help others), Supporters who can e-mail anytime, day or night to gain emotional support (again not trained professionals).

The site is free, but to in order to have access to everything available on the website you have to sign up, which only takes a few minutes. You don’t have to be a certain age to join (even if you’re 40, you can still sign up, they have a ’veterans corner’ for older members, including advice on topics more relevant to adult life such as university, long term relationships, child-care and employment) The site is open 24/7, all year round.

A lot of people have said that Recover Your Life (or RYL for short) is a community where they feel they belong to, they are able to open up and be themselves and don’t have to hide. They come on RYL everyday as a means of escaping their problems to have a break and be able to breathe knowing it’s full of people who care and who want to help - without the worry of them telling their friends or family.

So please have a look, I think it could really help you - especially if you can’t talk to anyone in ‘real life’ or have no one to turn to.

Hope you feel better soon.

(PS. You do not have to be currently ‘recovering’ to join)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

I doubt any person that's ever had depression has found it embarrassing. It's actually an illness that impacts every aspect of our lives as it is a mood disorder, deep within our brains where we perceive the world around us. Depression is not a choice you made like an unwanted pregnancy or a STD.

Just list out your symptoms and how long you've had them. Also acknowledge any events in your life that seem out of the ordinary (stressful move, relationship, job changes, etc). Know yourself as some depression is just situational like maybe you lost your job and you're not taking it well, etc.

So I would see your doctor with your list of questions and ask if there's anything you can do. You don't even have to say the word depression, just indicate that you are feeling "a loss of energy" or "not feeling as happy" and just let them listen.

OTC depressants: I am not aware of any except for St. John's Wort. My friend took it 2x a day during a stressful part of her life and she did feel better but she did not have a diagnosis of clinical depression like I mentioned before which is sensory/mood. She just had an annoying job with a boss that was out of control.

What should you do instead: Sleep can be good. Any time there's anything really stressful you can just sleep it off. Also exercise can add positive chemicals into your brain where your mood receptor thingies are. Sex. :) LOL.

• Joy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Don't worry about being embarrassed the doctor hears all sorts of stuff each day in his consulting room that is far more embarrassing than this I promise. He will have people in his room every day with mental health problems. Remember that 1 in 10 people currently have a mental health problem and 1 in 4 of us will experience a mental health problem at some stage in our lives, that's a heck of a lot of people! He will be concerned for you and want to do his best to help you. If you could write down the symptoms you have had and give them to him it will help, he may ask a few extra questions. The diagnosis in based on having at least 5 of these 9 symptoms for at least 2 weeks for the most part of every day -

1. depressed mood

2. lack or interest or pleasure in usual activities

3. 5% weight loss and loss of appetite (can be increased in a few cases)

4. insomnia (can be over sleeping in a few cases)

5. agitation (or being very slow in some cases)

6. loss of energy

7. feeling worthless

8. lack of concentration

9. thoughts of suicide

It can take a few weeks for antidepressants to work fully so stick with any prescription the doctor gives you. If it's not the right one for you or you can't cope with side effects go back and see the doc again. The side effects start before the benefits so don't stop them if you can possibly manage to carry on for the potential benefits.

St John's Wort is the best herbal remedy otc for depression. It works as well as prescribed meds for mild to moderate depression but a severe depression will need prescription antidepressants.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Good luck

• 4 years ago

Don't worry about this. One of the symptoms of depression is how long you've been suffering, and it's one of the things the doctor will ask. He won't blow it off as teenage angst. Another symptom is how often you feel bad. Nearly every day is a clear indicator of depression. The doctor will ask you some questions--the first one will probably be "What brings you here?" or some variant of this. Speak up and tell him your symptoms. Tell him that you've been feeling depressed nearly every day for about two and a half years. He'll probably take it from there and ask you some stuff, or you can continue and tell him some more about what's going on. Be specific. Are you sleeping at night, or do you have insomnia? Can you get up in the morning, or do you just want to stay in bed all day? How's your appetite? Do you cry for no reason at all? What about anger issues? Do you have any fun at all, or do you feel flat and empty all of the time? Have you withdrawn from the world? Can you still function pretty well in your everyday life, or have the symptoms really started to interfere with basic, everyday living, e.g. have bathing and brushing your teeth become a chore? Can you function at school or work? These aren't all the symptoms of depression, and you certainly don't have to have all of them to be depressed, but I'm just throwing these out there to give you an idea of the level of specificity he'll be looking for. Anxiety can go hand-in-hand with depression, and has its own symptomology. He'll want to know what makes you anxious, or if it's just a vague sense of unease that permeates throughout the day. It's almost certain that he will prescribe something for the depression symptoms, and possibly for the anxiety. (Some depression meds work for anxiety, too) You don't have to suffer through this without help. There are many choices in medication available. Work with your doctor in finding the right meds (or combination of meds) for you. Most of them take four to six weeks to build up a therapeutic level in the bloodstream, so don't give up on them too soon. Too many patients give up on medication because they expect to feel better within a week. Stick it out! You *will* feel better!! Be sure to keep your follow up appointments with the doctor and discuss any side effects with him. (Some medicines have none.) All the best to you.

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDPAx

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

HI I felt exactly the same as you did when i first had depression.

Admitting it is the first step forward, the longer you leave it the worse it gets. i used an internet forum to help initially although i still felt pretty bad,

As i have got post natal depression the supporters on the site spoke to my health visitor who in turn spoke to my gp. this meant i didnt have to say all that much to the gp.

is there anyone you can trust or close too who can go with you? i know it is hard i put a face on all the time and havent told all of my family yet although they have probably guessed.

it is best to go to the gp. They will ask you some question about how you feel and probably ask to see you in a couple of weeks to see how you are getting on.

they wont think badly of you or judge you it is there job not too.

take the first tep to recovery.

keep strong. i know it is hard but there is courage there, just those nasty thoughts which are all lies gettin in the way.

i have made so many mistakes and would not reccomend anyone doing things the way i did i found it only makes things worse. i keep running down the hill hopefully soon i can start crawling back up and hopefully you wont go as far down the hill as i have

• 9 years ago

Be nice to your self. Warm baths, early nights (if you can't sleep, read). Make sure your food is nutritious and easy to digest, treat yourself , even if it just to a bar of chocolate.Go for a walk or go swimming or any other form of exercise you fancy. Do some gardening, even a pot plant needs looking after. I hope you soon feel better. If you don't do go and see the doctor.

• Roosh
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

If you have experienced symptoms over the last past few months then you should see your doctor. You will not be seen as being an idiot and it is better to get it sorted than to let it go. Your doctor will understand this. There may be underlying reasons which only a doctor can diagnose.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Have 1 or 2 intoxicating products everyday instead of a lot more

• 3 years ago

go operating day-to-day

• 3 years ago

fully stand up as well as march while having preferred television shows

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.