For my Catholic wedding, we were informed that?

for our maid of honor and best man, one had to be a practicing Catholic and the other a Christian in good standing.

The thing: We don't have any friends or siblings that fit those descriptions.

We were thinking of just having my parents sign the license afterwards, just not officially be the MOH and BM, but my mom said we may be supposed to have someone stand with us.

My question is, Do you think I could go to my bishop with this problem and request a dispensation from these rules of having a "Maid of Honor" and "Best Man"?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Who informed you of this ? None of it is true. Someone doesn't like you and is trying to make a fool of you.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

You might have misunderstood - the general rule is that between the bride and the groom, one must be a practicing Catholic and the other (if not Catholic) must be a non-Catholic Christian in good standing.

However, if your diocese is so careful about Holy Matrimony that they expect the best man and maid of honor to support the couple and help them stay married and happy and together, then they might have added the requirement to the witnesses as well.

It's too bad that you don't have ANY friends or siblings that fit that description. Maybe you should get more involved in church so that you make more friends there. In the mean time, consult with your priest about solutions. At the very least, perhaps the organist and an acolyte can serve as your witnesses.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes, and that is because in the Catholic church marriage is a sacrament, not merely a legal ceremony or a prayer service.

Just let your mom be moh and your dad be bm, it will save trouble. You could talk to the bishop but if he says no you will be wasting time.

• Daver
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

You were either misinformed OR, more likely, misunderstood what you were being told.

It doesn't matter what religion anyone in your wedding party is.

Religion DOES matter when it comes to the bride and groom.

As it pertains to the bride and groom, at least one does have to be an active practicing Catholic, and the other a non-Catholic Christian in good standing with the Church.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

The Code of Canon Law says that two adult witnesses, in addition to the priest, are required for a valid marriage.

Requirements for witnesses may change from diocese to diocese so you will have to ask the priest or parish wedding coordinator for details.

It is recommended (but not required) that witnesses be

• Men and women who will take a personal interest in the spouses and aid them by advice to live the marriage vows

• Practicing Christians whose own style of life can be an example to the new spouses

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P40.HTM

With love in Christ.

• 9 years ago

Sometimes it just depends on whatever Diocese you live in. They often can vary greatly. Ours is very conservative and possibly like yours. It certainly does not hurt to ask, and if they do not agree to your terms, perhaps you may want to check with other neighboring diocese.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Why would one have to be Catholic and the other just Christian?

No such rules.

• 9 years ago

Ya, but try talking with your priest first.

• 9 years ago

I couldn't find any such rule in the Canon Law.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM

• star
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

catholicism is a man-made religion.

The marriage institution is a decree of God.

God never said that one should be married in a church.

God only said that if a man wants a woman, he MUST marry her.

no co-habitation, no premarital sex out of wedlock, no adultery.

its so simple ...

O, i m christian btw.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.