Muscles that swimming work out.?

Hi. I've done my homework and have researched about what muscles swimming work out. I came across this answer by "academicjoq" and he said "The more intense, the greater the hypertrophy. Most people cannot swim with enough intensity to create a great deal of hypertrophy. So, instead, you'll... show more Hi. I've done my homework and have researched about what muscles swimming work out. I came across this answer by "academicjoq" and he said "The more intense, the greater the hypertrophy. Most people cannot swim with enough intensity to create a great deal of hypertrophy. So, instead, you'll see more tone and definition develop."

I'm wondering, what does he mean by hypertrophy? Like, how many laps or the time of the work out? I'm more interested in losing the excess body fat I have and toning my body. I want to avoid the build up of muscle. Also, are there any ways for making thighs slimmer? My thighs have quite a bit of muscle (when I pinch it I can't really get any fat) I think because I go jogging sometimes.
1 answer 1