Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

How ironic is it that we keep calling ourselves the UNITED states?

Just how United are we really?

Not that much honestly.

Update:

That's exactly my point Calvin. This country has not been "united" since the Whiskey Revolution.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The individual state governments were combined into the union of state governments, the name is shortened to the United States. There were disagreements when the Union was formed, one State refused to ratify the agreement... I am not sure how it eluded being a portion of the US, when it didn't accept it.

As far as the point of your question, I do agree. The divisions are becoming monumental. The Civil War happened due to monumental disagreements, but that more or less was along geographical boundaries. We do not have the boundaries today, the divisions are all mixed up. There are some isolated pockets like San Francisco and California (that more or less act like a sovereign nation).... These sizes are not large enough to break away... They do not have the resources to do so, remember that the sovereign nation of Texas joined the Union because they were broke.

There will be a tipping point where something will happen. Right now the SCOTUS and lower courts are stretching the limits of the Constitution, and at times to the breaking point. That old document, and the brittle aged paper it's written on is only as sound as the courts that are supposed to protect it.

It is ironic, yes. The divisions are wide, and the anger is growing. I feel it will dissolve someday, it will happen by an accumulation of divisions and will then flash like a gasoline fire when a series of events strikes a match. No one single person, or group of people will be at fault... Things will just happen. God help us. http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1879...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

We're as united as a big country, with 310,000,000+ people can possibly be. If you can find any large group as united as us during any time in the history of the world, I'd like to see it. The European Union is only united in they're desire to stick it to America. Go there, and talk to the people in a pub if you don't believe me. The Soviet Union? They were only united because they were forced to be at gunpoint. That goes for any empire in history.

• 9 years ago

Actually, we are a Union of 50 separate States. The confusion is caused by the way the Federal Government has grown far beyond its Constitutional boundaries.

• Calvin
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It has nothing to do with political agreement as to political parties...it has to do with being united and governed under one Constitution. Agreement to be governed under such an authority does not now, nor has it ever, implied that we are in agreement on all things, or even a majority of things.

Significant political disagreement within our nation, or virtually any nation for that matter, is not new or unique.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

The only way we are "united" is by the feds

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Got to love all the division Obama has caused.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's not irony, it's the name of our Federal Republic.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's time for America to kick hillbilly anus again!

• jazz
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Go tell that to Lincoln.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No very

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.