Can I sell family home against my partners will?

We have decided to split up, but don't have the financial resources to do so (e.g. to move out and rent separate properties, pay lawyers etc). Ever since my partner lost his job years ago I have been paying the mortgage, but we have been struggling very much financially and otherwise. I want to sell the family home (which we will have to do anyway) to be able to move out and finance the separation.

How can I put the jointly owned family home on the market and sell it if he is blocking?

(We had decided to sort out thing under mediation, but this looks difficult now.)

Best Answer

I am sorry, but you will have to try in Mediation to convince him. If that fails you could try a collaborative lawyer or you will have to take a loan to go to court. It is ugly, yes!

If the house title is in your name and your husbands name- it will take the two of you to sell the house- because you both signed on the mortgage. If it was only you, then no, you do not need him. But you will need him though when you sell and when it sells the two of you, will have to go down and do the closing papers- just like the two of you did when you bought the house

Source(s): True love is something so very true- not everyone will be that lucky to share such a thing but when you do and you find someone you love so dearly. Make sure you hang to them as if they were something for very precious because you will not ever find another true love. It is one chance in a lifetime. Hold it close as if it is something you treasure... ....♥.... Shrink Nettie Age- 31 Years Old Married 17 ½ years
  • LauraA

If your partner doesn't want to sell, then another option would be for him to buy you out of your half. Then he gets to keep the house, and you will get your share of the the money to enable you to move on.

You can't sell it unless he agrees to sell, hon.

If both of your names are on the deed, then you're stuck until the two of you can agree on either selling, or staying.

• Min

If the title deeds are in joint names then NO, you will need to come to a mutual agreement

yes, u can sell the house without his consent. u need to go to court for that. after the court will order he either pays u your half or house will be sold and money devided. usually it is done in the process of divorce

Why would you buy a home with someone you're not married to? that's the real question.

yes, u can sell the house without his consent

• Woka

Thesimple answer is you can't he needs to also agree and sign.

get a divorce the court will make him sell