Quickbooks Invoicing -- using job numbers?

switched from MYOB/AccountEdge to Quickbooks for my construction business. With MYOB/AccountEdge, we had sub-jobs for each project. So for instance for Parkway Center, there might be job numbers as follows: PCejc and PCwp, which are different materials being installed at the Parkway Center. I could then bill the... show more switched from MYOB/AccountEdge to Quickbooks for my construction business. With MYOB/AccountEdge, we had sub-jobs for each project. So for instance for Parkway Center, there might be job numbers as follows: PCejc and PCwp, which are different materials being installed at the Parkway Center. I could then bill the customer for the Parkway job and use both job numbers on the same invoice (for instance, bill $1000 to PCwp and $1200 to PCejc). In this way I can get detailed job cost reports. And the customer knows exactly what section we worked and what material we installed (we're installers, we do not sell products).

In Quickbooks, you have to link the job numbers with the customers. Which is fine. I've done that. There can be sub-jobs, etc., and that works fine. BUT I can't seem to put more than one job number on an invoice. Since the job numbers are linked to the customer, I have to choose a specific job/customer to bill -- and I can't figure out how to break down the invoice using more than one job number.

Is there a way to do this?

Or do I have to put all the job numbers (what I call job numbers anyway) in Quickbooks as Items instead? Since these are contract jobs and not product jobs, there are no set fees for each job number, so as Items, they would not have set costs either. It would vary by invoice depending on amount of work done. And I don't believe I could get detailed job costing reports by making them items.

Any help from Quickbooks users would be greatly appreciated!!
Update: Forgot to mention....I also use the job numbers for categorizing payroll, manpower, and other things, not just billing. Not sure how I can do that if they're listed as job numbers in Quickbooks because again, they're associated with the customer and it seems like I can't use them the way I could in MYOB. show more Forgot to mention....I also use the job numbers for categorizing payroll, manpower, and other things, not just billing. Not sure how I can do that if they're listed as job numbers in Quickbooks because again, they're associated with the customer and it seems like I can't use them the way I could in MYOB.