What is the best outdoor water filter to buy?

Some websites claim that, Katadyn Vario Water Filter is the best filter in the world, however, I want to see what other people think about this? What is the best outdoor water filter on the market?

• chris
    Favorite Answer

"Best" is an opinion, some things to consider are level of purity, weight, cleaning ability, replacement cartridge cost and how much space they take up for packing. I have a "first need" going on 20 years now with no problems and their prices have remained steady. Here is an article to help you choose the "Best" one for you,

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/water+tre...

Best Outdoor Water Filter

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv/ and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

You need to determine the specs that make you comfortable. You can choose a water filter based on many factors: weight, filtering-type, size of screening for micro-organisms, desalinization, price.

I am satisfied with the MSR ceramic filter that I bought years ago. Among other things, it fits with my style of carrying water in liter bottles, can be easily maintained with a scrubbing, and does not require replacement filters. However, I have not needed a filter for extreme international threats, toxic metal removal, or desalinization.

I have a Katadyn pro hiker and I also use their chlorine dioxide tabs, work really well for me when camping. Plus the filter is only about 60 bucks and the tabs are 11 bucks for 30 of them.

There are a lot of trade-offs between effectiveness, usability, weight, and field maintainability.

The model you mentioned is incredibly effective for removing micro-organisms.

However, the MSR Miniworks is lighter, and much easier to maintain in the field.

• Joyce

Yes

• snow

I like my MSR miniworks