Declawing cats?????????

Okay, before everyone gets angry and saying lots of mean stuff, let me explain. First of all please don't leave hate on this, I'm not looking for that, I want personal experiences ONLY, please. I have done a lot of research. First off, my cat is already declawed, it was not my choice. Although he was... show more Okay, before everyone gets angry and saying lots of mean stuff, let me explain. First of all please don't leave hate on this, I'm not looking for that, I want personal experiences ONLY, please. I have done a lot of research. First off, my cat is already declawed, it was not my choice. Although he was declawed while living in my home. Me being a high schooler didn't have much say in my parents choice to declaw him (on the front paws were declawed). And no, it wasn't about 'saving our furniture'.
Okay so now that that's out of the way, please tell me what is so wrong with declawing (I'm just for the front paws being declawed). Please tell me your personal experience with it, not what you have heard. I'll go ahead and tell you mine, I got my kitty, Salem, when he was about three or four months old at a vet's office, (someone had brought a litter of kittens in). He is the best cat I have ever met. At first I was 100% percent against declawing, I thought it was awful. But now I think its okay for some people. The thing with Salem wasn't that he tore our furniture up, it was that he had the tendency to get really really playful sometimes and sneak attack you. :3 He would hide and as you walk he would run up and jump up and pat your legs, like a game of tag. He often left scratches by accident, so all of us had scratches on our legs and arms. :P
Also we have three ferrets and our kitty just loves them. His playing was a bit to rough for the ferrets and accidently hurt them (thats not a problem now as they all play fight and attack each other, its so cute how much they like each other. :3)
So really, his innocent playing often left his playmates scratched up (it was never out of defence we got scratched, for he has never laid his ears back or hissed at any of us, or the ferrets). Since being declawed his personality hasn't changed at all. He was sore the first day (bandages were on) but he was being constantly loved on. We brought him home the same day as surgery (I don't think that happens much but our vet is a family friend) I stayed with him all night, made sure he didn't walk or jump, fed him and watered him. I stayed in the same small room all the next day too, cuddling with him and taking care of him. Days later the bandages came off and he was fine, we were all still a bit weary so we didn't allow any jumping. He never had a problem with the litter box (we switched to paper pellet litter for over a week), never had much pain (we ALWAYS know when he's in pain, he rarely meows, but when he hurt himself or something, he always lets us know and makes sure we take care of him). He still cuddles all the time, kneads in my hair and on my arms, purrs, and everything. He has NEVER bit anyone or hissed or laid his ears back. He is always happy to meet to people. He never goes out side (never has shown an interest in going outside), still climbs, (still manages to shred our curtains lol. it's behind the couch so none of us care. :3), his balance is great (he walks on our dining room chair which are about an inch thick) He still plays the same as he used to, and even scratches on his post without claws? (we clip his back claws as well) It's like it never happend! I love him dearly, and he follows me everywhere. :3
Thank you so much to the people who read ALL of this, insanely long thing. Don't hate on me please, wasn't my choice, but I sure don't regret it. If anything bad happend to your poor kitties, please tell me, but please don't just say stuff being mean. I just want to hear the honest reasons why you don't like it.
I don't think it's like cutting the ends of our fingers off, and if it was, I'd rather be in a loving home without the last digit in my fingers than in a shelter. Thank you so much ahead of time to the people who leave good answers, helping me with this question. I love my kitty just like everyone else, he sleeps in the bed with me and cuddles with me all the time. :3 Thanks again for reading.
Update: Again, my cat never goes outside, ever. He looks out side through the windows or glass door and watches traffic go by, but he has never once tried to get outside. And also their aren't any other animals (besides our ferrets, and honestly I think my kitty thinks he's a ferret. :P) so there has never been a reason to... show more Again, my cat never goes outside, ever. He looks out side through the windows or glass door and watches traffic go by, but he has never once tried to get outside. And also their aren't any other animals (besides our ferrets, and honestly I think my kitty thinks he's a ferret. :P) so there has never been a reason to be territorial. Also my cat was given a lot pain medicine, so I don't see how it can be any worse than bobbing tails and such. Thank you though for being respecting, answers so far. :3
Update 2: Now I'm starting to see where the complications could come from, being threatened, maybe with other animals, which I see could happen. Pain which I assume would root from the surgery going wrong, maybe they clipped in the wrong place? Being outside could cause a threat, which of course if you decided to get your... show more Now I'm starting to see where the complications could come from, being threatened, maybe with other animals, which I see could happen.
Pain which I assume would root from the surgery going wrong, maybe they clipped in the wrong place?
Being outside could cause a threat, which of course if you decided to get your cat declawed, why would you let them outside?
I also already know that they clip the bone as well not just the nail.
So I'm thinking that if the surgery went well, that the behavior problems could be environmental (I'm not saying that some people do a bad job of taking care of their kitties!!!!! I mean that maybe their are other animals or overbearing people making them nervous.)
So maybe it just takes special circumstances for the kitty to not change...
Like my kitty still has his back claws. He climbs and is an excellent jumper. There aren't any other intimidating animals in the house. He isn't in pain, and has never gone to the potty anywhere but his litter box. He never g
Update 3: I'm sorry to the people who didn't "waste their time reading my post" but instead immidiately answered with negative comments. If it was read they would have seen that it was not my choice to get him declawed. I think its sad that we can't have a clean post with productive answers. I'm sorry, but I mean no... show more I'm sorry to the people who didn't "waste their time reading my post" but instead immidiately answered with negative comments. If it was read they would have seen that it was not my choice to get him declawed. I think its sad that we can't have a clean post with productive answers. I'm sorry, but I mean no disrespect. I am of course a cat lover, why else would I have wanted a cat?
I think it's better for a cat to have a loving home, than be in a shelter.
Like I said, well I'll rewrite this, I would rather be in a loving home, and lets take it the extreme, with no hands at all as a person, than be in a dirty lonely shelter for the rest of my life, maybe even being killed, and waiting for the day someone will come along, pick me up and love me.
I'd pick the home. And that's an honest answer.
Update 4: Since one of my previous extensions cut off? I'm wondering what people think of the idea that the behavioral changes could be more environmental than anything? If I didn't have a front claws (and if I were a cat :3) and a big dog came running after me, yeah, I'd be scared! And that would make me nervous. So if the... show more Since one of my previous extensions cut off?
I'm wondering what people think of the idea that the behavioral changes could be more environmental than anything?
If I didn't have a front claws (and if I were a cat :3) and a big dog came running after me, yeah, I'd be scared! And that would make me nervous.
So if the surgery went well (finding a great vet who was very experienced), I don't see how the cat could be changed, unless it was purely the environment making the kitty nervous??
So if you have a low stress home, like no other big animals and if the people were a quiet family that wouldn't make the kitty nervous with so much unwanted attention, and the cat never went outside, how could the kitty's demeanor change? Please give me your opinions!