What's a good alternative to Andouille sausage?

I'm thinking of making gumbo for Fathers' Day but we don't really have Andouille sausage in our local groceries, what's can I use as a substitute?

If it helps, I'm in the Philippines and I've been wondering if Longganisa would work -if so, what kind?

Favorite Answer

Longansia hot or sweet, even the Pinoy sausage re fine, cooked longansia or raw that you cook, add it near the end of the cooking as they tend to go to hard if boiled long, I am a former chef and worked in Singapore we used them for many dishes as Italian and US smoked sausages were hard to find, I have bought them here in Canada in our Asian grocery stores

I always found Italian sausage to be a good substitute. Just cook them whole and slice them as you would for andouille.

Hot links are a good substitute here in the US. Any type of spicy smoked sausage (preferably pork) would work. The key is that it should be spicy, and it should be smoked (smoky flavor and spicy heat are essential to a good gumbo).

Chorizo or even Italian sausage will work......in a pinch you could even use Pepperoni!

• JP

Hungarian, chorizo, or spicy italian.

Chorizo will do fine.