What can a vegetarian/vegan stock up on for emergency/survival food?

I would like to start a food closet in case of an emergency.

Like if I cannot leave the house for a week or two or longer for whatever reason.

But I know I cant store fresh veggies.

I hope there are some vegan survivalists out there to give me advice.

A food closet I can be healthy on without Meat.

• Favorite Answer

I doubt there are any survivalist vegans who are going to give you advice. Survivalist, and vegan are not two words you generally hear in the same sentence.

You need to stock up on dried legumes, dried beans, wheat berries, white rice, pearl barley, multi vitamins, popcorn (to make corn meal), peanut butter, vegetable oil, oatmeal, pasta, molasses, sugar, salt, powdered fruit drinks, corn syrup, jams and jellies and vegetable shortening.

You also need yeast, baking soda, baking powder and vinegar. If you are a vegetarian, also add honey.

If you are a vegetarian who drinks milk, ad powdered milk to the list.

You might be shocked to learn, but these are the basic survival foods, which all survival minded people store. The only items I left off were gelatin, and mayo.

Honey, powdered milk, gelatin, mayo are the only items which might differ for you, over what a omnivore survivalist would store for their basic food storage.

You can also purchase #10 cans (about a gallon of product) of freeze dried foods from Emergency Essentials. Powdered tomato sauce, freeze dried fruits, veggies, ect.

Here's a link to them: http://beprepared.com/default.asp

Otherwise you can just stock up on canned items, like beans, and vegetables if you are only stocking up for a week or two. Ad some brown rice to that too. Brown rice only keeps for 6 months, before the oils/fats in the rice start to go rancid. Therefor brown rice is not a long term food storage item.

If you keep you canned items in a cool, dry, dark pantry, they will be good for 20-40 years (and no, that was not a typo, I meant YEARS). Your items like dried beans and legumes will be good for about 40 years, but will become progressively more difficult to cook. Your white rice and wheat berries will be good for 2000 years or longer if you store them correctly. And no, that was NOT a typo, two THOUSANDS years or longer.

~Garnet

Permaculture homesteading/farming over 20 years

2 years food stored in our pantry, for three adults

Doing food storage now for several decades.

1

Source(s): Delicious Paleo Recipes Cookbook : http://paleocookbook.raiwi.com/?XLrW

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

But I know I cant store fresh veggies.

A food closet I can be healthy on...

Source(s): vegetarian vegan stock emergency survival food: https://biturl.im/mSwsF

2

Source(s): Build an Emergency Food Supply http://renditl.info/UltimateSurvivalFood
  • ?

Vegetarian Survival Food

New potatoes.

Any other canned veggies--they will keep you alive but most don't taste very good. Except the new potatoes.

Nutritional Yeast. Need those B vitamins.

Here's an excerpt from a site I found about vegetarian survival :

Which non-perishable foods not requiring cooking should you have on hand? Suggested foods for vegetarians include ready-to-eat canned foods like vegetables, fruit, beans, and pasta; dried fruit; juice boxes or canned juice; powdered milk, either soy or cow's (include extra water in your survival kit if you plan to use powdered milk); individual aseptic packages of milk (soy or cow's); crackers; packaged breads with a long shelf-life; high energy foods like peanut butter and other nut butters, jelly, nuts, seeds, trail mix, granola and energy bars, cookies, and other snacks. Remember to include foods for those family members with special needs like infants or those with allergies. The sidebar shows one possible 3-day meal plan for a vegetarian family of four that does not require cooking or refrigeration.

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/disaster.htm

Hope that helps and I also hope that you don't have any emergencies!!

Source(s): vegan

Well, wouldn't it be pretty much the same collection of things whether you're veg or meat eater (what meats can you keep in your pantry... oh unless you're thinking of processed pre-made meals?). As a veg*n, you should already have a stock of rice, pasta, dried beans/pulses, nuts, spices, etc. Tinned tomatoes are a great thing to have a good supply of, as are tinned beans and chickpeas, coconut milk, olive oil, dried fruit. Once you have all this stuff though, you have to have a bit of a program to make sure you use it and replace it, otherwise it will have gone off/stale/rancid when you need to rely on it.

Hi there!

My partner is slightly survivalist and we're vegan. He said to say that some Datrex ration packs are vegan (not food, so much as a food substitute). He also recommends a little UV water purifying wand, because if you can't go out, the water is probably not working.

I would also have UHT soy milk (in the box), box tofu, canned beans and veg, canned fruit, dried fruit, pasta, quinoa, oil, nuts, chocolate and/or halva (makes a nice, dense calorie source if you're running out), nuts, seeds and some vitamin C, zinc and B12 tablets, and maybe some nutritional yeast flakes, for the other B vitamins. Also lots of cereal, because it doesn't need cooking.

I like to cook, and I would always like to have flour, sugar and oil/shortening handy, as well as some herbs, because three weeks of dried tofu sounds like awful to me.

• elvira

Get Survival Things You Lost!

Fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant.