Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 years ago

Paying a speeding ticket with 10000 pennies?

Hi,

I got a $100 dollor speeding ticket which I intend to pay in full, at the police station, with pennies.

I was wondering if under Canadian law, if my payment can be refused even though it is legal tender?

Thanks

Update:

I'm thinking of bringing them in a wheelbarrow.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Go for it lol.

Source(s): They'll take the pennies, but you'll probably get tazed.
  • Mugwug
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Pretty sure you pay your ticket at the courthouse, or Ministry of Transportation office.

You know in real life this plays out a lot less funny that it did in your head right? In real life you end up at the front of a line of people just as annoyed as you, you deal with a clerk who doesn't care how you pay and will have to count the money (if they accept it at all), as a consequence the people behind you will wait longer while this proceeds.

The clerk is paid by the hour, and doesn't care how long the transaction takes.

The other people will be the only ones who are punished, and I doubt they'll appreciate your humour.

Nice thinking outside the box'ish, but you're not breaking new ground here.

• 9 years ago

Under the Canadian Currency Act, there are limits to how much you can pay in coins. Pennies are not legal tender for anything over 25 cents.

Here is the quote:

"(2) A payment in coins referred to in subsection (1) is a legal tender for no more than the following amounts for the following denominations of coins:

(a) forty dollars if the denomination is two dollars or greater but does not exceed ten dollars;

(b) twenty-five dollars if the denomination is one dollar;

(c) ten dollars if the denomination is ten cents or greater but less than one dollar;

(d) five dollars if the denomination is five cents; and

(e) twenty-five cents if the denomination is one cent."

Here is the link:

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c...

Therefore, you cannot pay your parking ticket with pennies, as they would not be legal tender. Take it to court if you disagree with it that much.

• 9 years ago

Your not the fist genius to think of a protest payment.

Governments have protected them selves over the years by officially limiting how you may pay fees and fines. Often via Check, Money order, or credit card.

The official reason is they don't want to handle cash due to security and accounting costs. Even if they will accept cash courts have found that accepting large quantities of loose coins is disruptive to the daily work flow of the business, and the business can require payments made with coins to be rolled.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Aleta
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Really funny. Putting some hard working civilian to work cleaning up your idea of a joke. It was your irresponsibility that got you into trouble. If you show up with pennies you will find out how to get in more trouble.

• 9 years ago

IDK about Canada, but in the US, it has to be check, money order, or card in most areas.

However, I hope that Canadian law allows them to refuse you, because that is an extremely childish and immature thing. And it sure isnt cute or funny. Makes you look fairly sad and pathetic to me.

• 9 years ago

It is probably NOT legal tender. Pay in the usual way, and smile.

Source(s): Counselor experienced.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

make sure you have that much but i think they have signs that say what forms of payment they will accept.

if can be refused since you are required to make sure you have the right amount

• 9 years ago

Why don't you just stop speeding and pay with a check?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It has to be by check

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.