Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Nude preteen on music album legal? Please help?

I am asking for the United States:

The scorpions album "virgin killer" has a nude preteen girl on the cover, is this legal to view or is it considered child pornography? You can easily find it on any search engine.

Or is it legal becuase it is considered art? Please give detailed answer and I will give 10 pts.

If you don't know the cover, its a 11-13 year old girl posing suggestively with only a piece of glass covering her genitals.

• Mutt
    Best Answer

Yes, it's legal. It's poor taste, which is why they released the album with a second cover. But the original is not illegal.

<aside> Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy album have two naked children on the cover (images are superimposed to look like many children). The album is still sold with that cover. Of course, that cover is a lot more artistic in nature, so not so much controversy over it.

Nudity doesn't mean pornography. Unless the image is sexualized, then it is not pornography. I can guarantee that this album cover went through the record label's legal department first to ensure no legal actions could be taken regarding child pornography laws. This isn't the first time a child has been nude on an album, also see Nirvana's Nevermind album, and the self titled release from Blind Faith way back in 1969.

I remember that album and I considered it in poor taste even back in the day.

I was a real metal fan and owned the album but I got rid of the cover because I found it to be offensive.

It must be legal, I have seen it everywhere. FYI, the album is still available at Amazon.

It depends. Was it a picture someone took or is it a painting. A painting I don't think is illegal but if it is a picture it is.