What legal action can I take in a hit and run accident when the other driver is an illegal immigrant?

I was in a hit and run accident back in feb. and the other driver is an illegal immigrant. He was a drunk driver and he hit me then ran. when the police showed up, they found another passenger in the back seat. He went to the hospital and ended up dying a week and 2 days later, They finally found they guy and I was wondering what legal actions I can take? He totaled my car. I was going through USAA car insurance. I find it very unfair that my husband had to be deployed just to save up to get this "dream" car of his. Now its nothing but a nightmare. I lost my rims and I still have to pay for them, my glasses were broke in the accident, I had to replace my car seats. I did not go to the hospital. Any thing would be great.. If it helps I am in the state of washington. and he is in jail. I really need help with this.

7 Answers

  • Paulo
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

    sorry, it is part of life. it does not worth complaining. the politicians own the insurance firms and are friends to the big firms, these big firms lobby through them. so they create the system that will benefit every body including themselves, someday they may find themselves in your situation too. what goes around come around. but please do not blame Mr President, he is the most honest President i have ever met.

  • 9 years ago

    Unfortunately there's nothing you can really do. Illegal immigrants do not have any insurance and therefore cannot pay for anything unless they're somehow rich and do for some reason have a lot of money saved up from whatever illegal under the table work they do here. But what are the chances of that happening? Unless you have really really really good insurance that can cover everything in that situation. Insurance like that is expensive and rare to come across. Everything is expensive these days. Most likely you are just going to have to deal with this horrible situation. Don't let it get to you too mentally where you become very stressed over it. Just take it easy, and face the fact that you are going to have to deal with this and deal with it. If you are making some sort of income just dedicate the money you make to getting everything fixed. It sucks but the faster you take care of this problem the sooner you'll get it over with and be able to move on. I hope this helps. Don't listen to that guy that said you need to be a republican, that doesn't make any sense at all. The party systems obviously do not work at all. Every one from all party systems in the end all have different views on EVERYTHING. Keep it real and be an Independent and come up with your own ideas and share them with the world.

    Source(s): All this source if from me and my experience. I was involved in a situation very similar to this, and I have really good insurance. Just the fact that the guy ran we never found him therefore could not use his insurance. And my insurance was not going to cover me at all. Horrible, and I have Triple A by the way with full coverage.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Was this guy driving WITH or without a license?? And who was the passenger who died? Doesn't that make this guy a murderer? Homicide by vehicle? Just for that, the Police should throw the book at him. Sending him back to Mexico would only give him another chance to hop the border again and commit another crime!!!!

    Questions I would find out about this man. Was he actually working somewhere in the State? WHO was he living with? WHAT place was he at when he consumed the booze? A tavern, Bar or where? Whose car was it he was driving, and did the owner have insurance?? Whoever the owner is or was, HIS insurance company should be paying for your damages! Doesn't matter IF he was driving the car, the owner is responsible!

    Whatever you do sweetheart, it's going to cost you money, but I would advise you to talk this over with a legal representative and get some REAL answers. That car HAD to be owned by someone, and I thought everyone was supposed to have insurance. Your OWN insurance should be helping you out with that!

  • 9 years ago

    you won't get any money out of the guy that hit you

    from what you've explained i'd be safe to assume he has no insurance, your claim will be worked under usaa's uninsured motorist qualifications, hopefully you have comprehensive insurance or full coverage and some good uninsured coverage

    my husband's car got hit by a uninsured motorist in new mexico, we were liable for the deductible of 500 dollars and everything else was taken care of by usaa, our insurance did not go up but we were traumatized for a while

    the guy that hit us got sacked with the rest of the payment, however i doubt he'll ever pay cuz he was totally not legit (probably some kinda druggie). if they do pay back, you will be reimbursed for the deductible you paid, as i said, in our situation it probably won't happen

    now back to you, as for the guy that hit you who is illegal, you could sue him but, unless he's rich, you will not get any money out of him. i'm sorry hun but theres little for you, in terms of eye-for-eye

    Source(s): me :D
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mushu
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    You should settle with your own insurance and then let them take care of all the legwork for you. That's what you pay them for. They should be doing all this. Of course, you must have collision coverage in order for them to do anything

  • 9 years ago

    call Obama's office to complain. Election time's coming, they will surely respond yo you

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Damn immigrants. They should be more careful here in the US. I think the only thing you can do is become a republican.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.