Chetco
Chetco asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

%-wise, Us training dog vs dog training us? Your opinions?

@ silly!: Eloquent!

Thanks, guys! Really great answers!

I'm so glad that I decided to extend the question, and get those late entries. Wonderful answers, all around. There seems to be as many successful methods of training as there are methods of raising kids!

I respect anyone who actually bothers to train their dogs, to create good canine citizens, whatever their task or function. The methods suit the trainer or owner, the need, and the individual dog.

Thanksagain to all of you for answering.

Favorite Answer

My opinion? I think my dogs' opinions on the matter would be much more insightful.

Cameron: "Percent wise? Training. Oh, I definitely train her. I've got her wrapped around my little claw. I whine at the door like I have to go potty, and what does she do? She trips all over herself running to let me out! I sit down and she gives me a good scratching. I grab a slipper and I've trained her to chase after me (she knows she shouldn't, but it's our favorite game!). Yes, I think I've trained her well. I'm not sure if were ready to compete though, we're still getting used to distractions. It's hard to get her to scratch my belly when she sees another human."

Duncan: "I'm not much of a trainer, but then again Alika is so eager to please- it's really not that hard. We've gotten to the point where not only have I trained her to MAKE my food, but she BUYS it too! And she cleans up after me! She buys me toys, and fusses over me. Get this, I've even trained her to dish out money on vet bills and medicine!"

Come on. Lets be honest. My dogs have me trained up the wazoo. Oh sure, they know sit, down, stay, come, paw, on by, blah blah blah. But are they trained to make me my meals? Bath me? Play with me? Clean up after me? No. I do all that for them.

I'm practically a slave.

Find what motivates your dog. Some dogs do anything for food. Some dogs do anything for Toys. Some do anything for a good petting. Some do anything for only one type of food, like cheese, or hotdog. Some only have interest in training for 5 minutes at a time, and others can go for an hour. Figure out what your dog is willing to work for, and then work with her in sessions that are no longer than she can tolerate. How to train your dog properly https://tr.im/trainingdog

Sign up for a dog obedience training class. It will not train your dog. It will give you training on how you can train your dog. Most people understand the idea of training, but there is a right and a wrong way to do it, and there is good and bad technique. Timing and consistency is very important, and it helps to have feedback of someone watching you who can help you improve your technique to get more efficient results with your dog.

However, she may be somewhat anxious around other dogs, sort of like the shy kid on the playground. She will benefit from continuing what you are doing as far as asking her to sit before entering, but there are more things along those lines that will help her to calmly go in and out of the dog park. She may also benefit from going in short bursts, or only when fewer dogs are present, or avoiding times when other dogs that make her nervous are present. Maybe she just plays loud - my brother's dog is this way - or maybe she is a dogpark bully - sorry it is possible. But more likely she is just a little anxious around new dogs and she wants to play but just doesn't quite know how to do that and still feel comfortable. Don't be surprised if your dog does not actually like the dog park, and maybe she would get more enjoyment and less stress out of simply going for a good walk somewhere else.

A wagging tail does not mean that your dog is happy or even comfortable with the situation. It means your dog is emotionally aroused. This could be a happy arousal, or it could be a nervous arousal, or it could be an aggressive arousal. Go youtube it, there are plenty of videos of 'vicious' dogs who are throwing a very aggressive fit of barking and snarling while their tail is wagging vigorously. Even police dogs who are not let off the leash to chase down a suspect can be lunging and barking and snarling, and their tails are still going.

The owner of the dog needs to know how to "operate" the dog, same way you can get into a car that's in perfect running order but if you don't know how to drive you won't have much luck making the car go anywhere. If the owner doesn't know how to maintain the training, the dog will soon become untrained again. Read more here https://tr.im/kwQpd

People seem to think that once a dog is trained, that's it. Not true. You must reinforce the dog's training every single day in some way. It's best if the owner and the dog go together to get trained. As a professional trainer once said to me "We can train any dog in 2 days. It takes longer to train the owners

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://bitly.im/aMGco

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

• I do think my dogs have trained me by training them. Back when I was young, I used to think spanking, smacking, and beating dogs was the only possible training method. My dogs still misbehaved, and I eventually learned how to better control them. It's a world of difference. My dogs still get punishment but not in the same sense. Alone time, or even with my rescued mutt, a steady, loud tone is all it takes. My dogs aren't perfectly trained because I don't show, but they are well enough to know right from wrong. Overall, we trained each other about 50/50. Little more, little less at times.

My dogs misbehave, I find ways to stop it. They train me to train them and vise versa.

**BTW, I left the DS, went to the Vegan section and came back. Yes, I'm Vegan but my dogs aren't. Before I get hundreds of TD's for it.**

Having trained horses, dogs and cats for the past 25 years my experience is that the Koehler method properly executed is far superior to the clicker/treats/ignoring bad behavior route. Properly done, KMODT has a test at every step to make sure the dog understands what is expected before moving on in the training. The method does not necessarily make dogs submissive but allows them to learn from the mistakes as well as successes and consistently produces reliably trained dogs that are a joy to live with.

I am not sure the percentage. If my puppy is not responding to training, I don't blame the puppy, I reevaluate myself. If my commands are not working, I change commands. I use different words, sounds, hand signals for each of my dogs. Some I use actual sign language, and others I just use thumbs up for good and I shake my finger at them when they do something I don't like. I watch the body language and what they respond to, and adjust myself to that particular puppy/dog. Maybe it is 50/50, Dogs want to please us, but it is up to us to show them the behaviors that we want from them and do it without smacking them in the face. I think training should be positive. You can still get good dogs without being mean.

I personally don't think that it's possible *not* to be trained somewhat by the dogs. Yes, it's easy for smarter dogs to shape people into doing what they want them to do - I've seen that in action. But even simple things (for example, when my pup walks toward the door and/or sits there I know she needs to go out) can be considered "training". She has taught me that when I see that, I need to get her outside. My Lab mix has taught me that when it's storming (or about to storm) she had better not be in the yard. Things like that.

Personally, I think it's half and half here. I think we learn from our dogs just as they learn from us so that we can coexist. Not to say I'm not in charge here - but you can be in charge and still let a bit of the dog's personality show through.

Arggh, hate when I start answering and then it disappears!

Memphis- many dogs DO end up training their humans, and this is one reason I generally strongly urge people not to get a BC unless actively involved in a dog sport and training for it, as BCs are very good trainers.

For example, when the phone rings, many dogs have trained their owners to throw a toy or provide their favorite petting, which if stopped results in dog barking and human resuming the activity.

Many fetchaholic dogs, both BCs and retrieving breeds, will train their owners to throw toys almost mindlessly. When talking with these owners, even if you instruct them not to throw a toy, they will resume doing so, often not even realizing what they are doing until you point it out. Not throwing the toy results in dog barking, jumping up, sometimes even showing more aggressive behavior when thwarted.

Many dogs have taught their owners to back away from the door when they open it, as the dogs go barrelling through.

In agility, it is not uncommon for newby handlers to be trained by their dogs to get out of the way, rather than for the dogs to learn how to jump properly and follow instructions. Of course, it helps if the handler actually knows how to handle!

It's 50:50 at my house. I train the dogs to respond to commands: the dogs train me to reward them by responding. I have a dog that I trained to pick up anything metal or glass when commanded. He has trained me by bringing me metal or glass objects to get my attention or feed him. Any relationship is 50:50.

Source(s): old balanced trainer