For the word 'my' in Swedish, when do you use 'mitt' and when do you use 'min'?

I'm learning Swedish and it would be really cool if you could tell me when you use 'mitt' and when you use 'min', or if it doesn't matter.

Thanks!

• Nix
    Favorite Answer

In most languages, when talking about gender of nouns, you have masculine, feminine, and neuter. But not so in Swedish. Here, there are only two choices, common and neuter. These are defined defined by two indefinite articles, "en" for common nouns, and "ett" for neuter nouns.

Every noun is either an “en” or an “ett” noun, and which is which you have to learn the hard way by memorizing the appropriate article together with the noun.

When you have an "en" noun, you will use "min", and when you have an "ett" noun, you'll use mitt. For plurals, you use "mina".

A few examples:

A chair - En stol

My chair - Min stol

A banana - En banan

My banana - Min banan

A table - Ett bord

My table - Mitt bord

An apple - Ett äpple

My apple - Mitt äpple

Unfortunately, there's no rule for telling you which is which, you just have to memorize. Annoying, yes, but you will get used to it. Something to note though, is that around three quarters of all Swedish nouns are common gender. This might help a little.

I hope that's helpful to you. Lycka till!

Nothing, it will depend on the gender of the noun you are regarding. Mitt ansikte (my face) Min bil (my vehicle) Mina maskiner (my machines) @ Louie : OP requested for Swedish, no longer Norwegian. Grammar's no longer the identical.