Anonymous

Why is it frowned upon to call people "blacks" but it is OK to call people "whites"?

I was reading through a work manual and I said a disease was more common among whites than Afrian Americans and Hispanics. If a "white" person calls African Americans "blacks" it's not politically correct. I've been reprimanded for it. So why is it ok to call fair skinned people whites?

• Favorite Answer

Because many people demand respect, but think it's only a one way street....Don't you know they earned it.....because their great great great great great grandfather was a slave.....

• mrcead

It isn't. What kind of person would call a White person "White" to their face in conversation? Written down, fine, in conversation, noooo. It is rude in any case. If a person has a name, use it. Typically, people don't mention race in casual conversation anyway. If White people want to be called something else other than White, get on the ball then. It could be handled over the weekend. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so squeak already.

But seriously, chances are that manual was not written by a Black or Hispanic and written / edited from the perspective of a White person who sees nothing wrong with the "White" designation.

WOW. I would take that reprimand straight to the ACLU, and ask them to set your stupid employer straight right now. People of African descent, who were BORN in AMERICA, ARE Black Americans. About 75% of ALL blacks in America, are BLACK, NOT Africans who have emigrated to America!!!!

Does your employer have PROOF that the blacks you work with ARE Africans? Since WHEN is calling someone WHAT THEY ARE wrong? I REFUSE to call Blacks Africans, and never will. I KNOW a real African when I meet one, and they are not even close to the same as a black American.

Back in the slave days, white people were slaving black people because of their dark skin.

Today, most of the time being black and having black skin is considered ugly and hated upon.

There's black people who have brown skin who are not really the color 'black'. And because of the way black people's skins are looked down upon.

It's okay to call white people white people because white people were not slaved for their pale skins, beaten and raped because of their pale skin. Being considered 'white' is highly looked upon in society as 'acceptable' and 'not different'.

So if you don't understand this, to make this short and sweet. White people were not treated the way that black people were treated in the slave days, being segregated based on their skin, and being treated unfairly.

I think that you have no idea what black people went through in the earlier days, and if you truly do not care to read what happened them, how they were treated and how they overcame everything, than you don't need to asks question.

It's just a touchy subject. Funny story, I was playing Words with Friends and the term "Jew" isnt allowed, but "*****" is. Being Jewish is being a follower of the Judaism religion, just as being a Muslim is the Islam religion.

Both terms are just touchy terms because of history. Simple.

These are just labels to make paper work easier. All humans are born with skin. Do a little history.Skin is just the largest organ a human has.We all have blood inside the same color.

Because every black person acts like everyone is out to get them. They love to complain about every little thing. That's why Jesse Jackson bawled so hard when Obama was elected- He wouldn't be able to play the race card anymore.

Because people think white is better than black!

And because white people used to take black people work for them.

• Jsoh

Double Standards.

As you sow, so shall you reap. Don't complain.