SURVEY: am I doing the right thing about my boyfriend?

I'm 18 years old and just graduated high school, and I dated a guy named Justin for a year (my entire junior year), and he is my age. Justin and I were best friends all of sophomore year after we met the summer before, and I loved him and our friendship dearly. It made me happy. When I started dating him,... show more I'm 18 years old and just graduated high school, and I dated a guy named Justin for a year (my entire junior year), and he is my age. Justin and I were best friends all of sophomore year after we met the summer before, and I loved him and our friendship dearly. It made me happy. When I started dating him, though, he was NOT a good boyfriend. He lied to me about stupid things (i.e. "you're the first girl I've ever called babe/baby/sweetie etc.", "you were the first girl I said 'I love you' to", "i can see myself marrying you," etc.). I believed all those things but I found out later that none of them were true. He also constantly talked about how much he missed his friendship with his ex-girlfriend Emilie all the time because she had been ignoring him, and when I asked him not to talk about her or to her anymore, he said he wouldn't but continued attempting to talk to her behind my back. And when I started talking to my ex-boyfriend again just as a friend, Justin would complain to me about it. Also, Justin was diagnosed with depression in the middle of junior year and he always demanded me to help him and calm him down and he made me feel like his depression was my fault, and told me what a terrible girlfriend I was when I was out with friends and not helping him when he had an emotional breakdown. He and I would always stay up late at night on the phone fighting and crying at least once a week. However, Justin never cheated on me or physically hurt me at all.

Finally, the summer after junior year, I couldn't take this emotional abuse anymore and finally broke up with him. I started seeing another guy a few weeks later, and Justin found out and got very mad. But of course, I didn't care because we weren't dating anymore and he brought this on himself. The other guy and I were together for about 2 months, and after we broke up, Justin and I started talking again. Slowly but surely, Justin changed his ways. He treats me amazingly now and I'm very happy with him.

The problem: Justin's change is genuine in my eyes, but not in the eyes of my parents. My parents think I shouldn't date him again because "the only reason he's treating you that way is because he doesn't want you to leave him again he wants you all to himself. It's a way of manipulation." However, I believe that if a guy really loves a girl, he will change for her. I believe this was the case with Justin because I could truly see it. The problem is that my parents refuse to believe this, and it is putting a strain on my relationship with them. I love my parents dearly from the bottom of my heart, but so do I with Justin. I am so happy with him and I can't stand the thought of being away from him. They don't know him personally as I do. And as a graduated senior and soon-to-be college freshman, I am mature enough to make those kinds of decisions on my own. But at the same time, they are my parents and they know what is best for me.

What do you guys think? Are my parents being closed-minded, or am I being immature and stupid?