Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How can my Polish wife get a British Passport?

We have been married for 3 years, and m wife has lived in the UK for 7 years. Would she be entitled to a British Passport?

I also have a step son who has lived here for 3 years (he was previously living with grandparents in Poland). His english is almost perfect, and we would like him to grow up as a British National.

What do we need to do?

What are the costs?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Maggie
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If your wife has spent the seven years in the UK exercising her treaty rights, she would have become a permanent resident after five years. She needs to have held PR status for one full year before she can apply for citizenship.

To exercise her treaty rights, she must have been working (employed or self employed), studying or otherwise financially self sufficient. To satisfy the requirements, if she was studying or otherwise financially self sufficient, she must have held comprehensive health insurance for the periods during which she was in either of those categories.

She can apply for confirmation of PR which is free and can be done online, but there is no legal obligation for her to do this. Since she must have held PR for a year for her citizenship application, she may find this a worthwhile exercise anyway.

She must pass the knowledge of language and life in the UK test since she is not from a majority English speaking country.

She must have a clean criminal record, have her taxes up to date and have spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during the last five years and no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months before her application.

Your step son is subject to exactly the same rules, so mark the condition for comprehensive health cover otherwise he does not meet the conditions for exercising his treaty rights as a student and will face difficulty proving his PR status and becoming eligible for citizenship. A child cannot be naturalised as it requires an oath to be taken, but as soon as he is 18 he can apply for citizenship.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

RE:

How can my Polish wife get a British Passport?

We have been married for 3 years, and m wife has lived in the UK for 7 years. Would she be entitled to a British Passport?

I also have a step son who has lived here for 3 years (he was previously living with grandparents in Poland). His english is almost perfect, and we would like him to grow up...

Source(s): polish wife british passport: https://trimurl.im/e77/how-can-my-polish-wife-get-...
  • ?
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

yes your wife would be entitled to a british passport. All she has to do is apply to take the test which is called life in the UK, British citizenship test. once done she will attend a ceremony where she will be granted her certificate and also your step son as he is under 18 is classed as a dependent and would get the passport automatically once your wife does.

http://www.britishcitizenshiptest.co.uk/

Source(s): My friend recently passed the test and i attended the ceremony.
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Conquer Women Hearts http://seduceanygirl.enle.info/?cWID
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

and it will cost you £870.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.