If my arm got cut off would I feel it?

I'm writing a 1st person science fiction novel and later on in the story my character gets his arm cut off. What basically happened was that, he was in a fight with a creature with these massive claws and he gets close enough for him to jam a grenade in it's throat, but unfortunately he's in arms length and the creature's claws just slash through his armor, the meat, and the bone and cuts his arm off. So what I'm asking is that do I need to do some research for the right littérateur terms to describe the pain, or would he not feel it at all?

Favorite Answer

I know of a man who was driving drunk and had his arm hanging out a window and a truck went past and cut his arm off he only noticed it wasn't there when he tried to change gears. Alcohol probably has a huge impact on his reaction though. I think as someone else has said they'd go into shock and eventually relatity would sink in with pain.

• Q

He won't feel it initially, in the heat of battle. He might not even realize his arm is gone if he doesn't see it happen. But once he gets a chance to pay attention, he will feel it and it will hurt a lot. You can read the account by Bethany Hamilton in Soul Surfer of her getting her arm bitten off by a shark. I also read about someone who got her leg bitten off by a shark while she was being pulled onto a boat to escape the shark, and she just felt a *pop* and then was being pulled onto the boat and her leg wasn't there. There was also a detailed account of a guy who had his fingers, then his arm bitten off by a shark--Chuck Anderson. He didn't feel the shark take his fingers, and as he struggled to free his arm from the mouth of the shark, he didn't feel any pain. I'm just mentioning sharks because I've heard their stories, but don't know stories of people who lost limbs in other circumstances that involved a sudden, almost surgical loss, rather than a mauling.

I guess it depends,

My uncle got his arm cut off while working in construction..

He said his body pretty much went into shock at that moment to where he didn't feel it but was aware of what had happened.

The pain didn't come till after.

• No because where would the pain go u want to say arm right? Yo arm just got cut off think about it

of course he would feel it because your body is filled with nerves all over which allow you to feel things so he would definitely feel immense pain, just try and describe the most excruciating pain you could imagine