Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

What happened to Green Day?

I've been wondering for a while why Green Day aren't as popular as they used to be. More specifically why people who used to like them no longer do.

Personally I've always loved them and I'm not saying everyone should, but I'd just like to know why.

Favorite Answer

Green Day has become really vocal on their opinions. Really political with the Presidential Elections, Working Class Hero cover, and American Idiot. I know American Idiot was really popular but it was really political and vocal. I'm not saying their opinions are right or wrong, and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with them but personally I don't want to hear it in a song. I liked Green Day a lot. Warning is probably my favorite album of theirs. Lately it seems like they have started trying to make their views and opinions on the world be heard. Nothing wrong with that, but too much is a bad thing. I think a lot of people got turned off by the way they acted. Also, this is just me but I don't like their new stuff. 21st Century Breakdown in my opinion was not that good. I could not find a song I liked on that album. They didn't get much radio play with the new album, like American Idiot was on Alternative stations, rock stations, and pop stations. They did not have that success with the new album. That probably contributed to most of the popularity loss (the fair weather fans). I've always considered Green Day a "phase" band, no offense at all, cause I do like them. But I think a lot of teenagers have a phase where they are emotional/punky and that's when they really love Green Day. I think a lot of these "phasers" went with a different band after American Idiot. I think a lot of it has to deal with just the latest album and main stream fan bases, for the dieing of popularity. To me, honestly I don't care if a band is main stream or unknown, if they are good they are good. Personally, I have lost interest in Green Day mainly because they seem to be whiny (in my opinion) and too far vocal on political matters. It seems like nothing has made them happy. Also, they are an older band. Not a lot of 39-years-olds (like Billie and the band) are still in a punk stage. A lot have grown up and gotten families and jobs. I think its just the aging of the band too. It's hard for a guy who is almost 40 to really get teens to be on his side. Green Day can't do songs anymore about being young and reckless, cause they have grown up. It's sad, but it's life. I think Green Day could find success again if they change and really act more mature in their songs. American Idiot had a lot of success because a lot of people weren't happy with the way America was going, and a lot of people liked the rock style of Holiday and American Idiot. Throw in Wake Me Up When September Ends and you've got a song that really can apply to anyone. And anyone can take that song and apply to a meaning from their own life to it. Not wanting to grow up, missing a loved one, and wanting the world to be like it was when you were happy. And a lot of people thought it was anti-war and dealt with 9/11, and the heart filled emotion behind the song (Billie's dad dieing) really made a strong connection to the listener. The new album just lacked a connection to most people, and I believe that is why the popularity died down and why the album didn't get much radio play. I believe a lot of people would love to see a new Green Day album in which they could relate to. Just my feelings on the subject.

Source(s): Just my feelings on Green Day and music in the world today. I hope this answer is acceptable in understanding possibly why Green Day has gone down hill.
  • Matt

They gotta stop doing this Rock Opera crap. Yeah it won them a few Grammys but it's driving away fans. The piano has no place in punk rock. American Idiot was alright, but most of the songs on that album I don't really like. 21st Century Breakdown was a huge dissapointment for me (I wasted 14 bucks on it). I don't care if they get political in some of their songs, but make the message deep if you're gonna (i.e. the song American Idiot is pretty much Billie Joe bitching about George Bush). Anyway, they've kinda become sellouts. ESPECIALLY with all this American Idiot on Broadway bullshit (and they're making a ******* movie now). DROP IT WITH AMERICAN IDIOT!!! THE ALBUM IS 7 YEARS OLD!!!! They should just put their time into writing songs for another record, one that's like their old stuff.

Source(s): thats all just constructive criticism

It is because everyone is all into the "latest thing" like what Katy Perry or Justin Beiber are doing no one likes the real people who are the real rock stars like Green Day. But hey they are popular still especially with American Idiot On Broadway :)

Green Day For LIfe <3

Brittany

Source(s): ME!!!!

I don't give a crap they're still amazing, hell they got inducted into the Rock-and Roll Hall of Fame. LIVE GREEN DAY!

I like a select few of their songs. But a lot of people like their earlier songs much more than their current music. So I guess that's why. :/ It happens. Bands evolve. Same reason I don't like Lifehouse as much anymore. I'll always love what they once were though.

Source(s): PS I love Wake Me Up When September Ends.

A lot of people hate there albums "american idiot" and "21st century breakdown". And because of hating those records they don't want anything to do with green day anymore.

Because they're not the same band they used to be. Compare Nimrod and Dookie to American Idiot and 21's Century Breakdown, and it's just different.

• Amy

In my opinion, Greenday do not have any variety in their songs. What i have heard (admittedly i have not listened to their full albumns) sonds the same musically and vocally.

Listen to their latest record. That's why.

beacause they aren't what people want them to be