Milk
Milk asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 years ago

Which free anti-virus programme is best?

I currently use AGV, but I have read that Winclam is better. Given that I have gotten a virus from trying to download what I thought was anti-virus software before, I am scared of changing the software.

If you are interested in the story I refer to (and it is the honest truth), I (a complete technophobe) was browsing the web a few years back and I got a pop-up with told me I had 1200 viruses or something. It said that fortunately, I could prevent these pop-ups by downloading the anti-virus software advertised, which I stupidly did. I discovered, to my horror, that the said software was itself a virus and I needed to wire $550 into an account to get rid of it. My P.C. was reduced to snails pace, and I paid a lot of money to an I.T specialist to rid my P.C. of the 'anti-virus' virus. I used NOD thereafter, but I have since bought a new P.C. and would prefer to avoid subscription costs.

Thanks for your help :)

Favorite Answer

My personal opinion after fixing computers for over 18 years, it would be the free version of Clam Anti Virus for Windows. There is a 32bit version and a 64bit version and powered by Immunet and cloud computing. It scans every thing that comes down on the computer, even the things from email.

It is open source software, maintained,and fixed by the open source community and keeps itself updated when ever any thing new is discovered.

2

Source(s): Perfect Antivirus Protection Suite : http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?kFkN

Malwarebytes.

there are no true best anti-virus but for me i haven't gotten any virus when using avast for the viruses and spybot S&D for the other malware items

kaspersky or avast