Any tips on parallel parking?

I have to do my final drive for my Driver's Ed course tomorrow, and I will be getting my license (hopefully) within the next two weeks. It is graded, and if parallel parking wasn't on it, I think I'd do well...but I'm terrified because Lord help me I am awful at parallel parking. These are the... show more I have to do my final drive for my Driver's Ed course tomorrow, and I will be getting my license (hopefully) within the next two weeks. It is graded, and if parallel parking wasn't on it, I think I'd do well...but I'm terrified because Lord help me I am awful at parallel parking. These are the reference points that my teacher has given my class:
-Pull up 2-3 feet away from the car in front of your space, and line the weather strip of the back right door up with the edge of the taillight of the other car.
-Turn the wheel all the way to the right, and pull in until the other car's taillight is covered by the passenger seat's head restraint, and then straighten the wheel.
-Back up, and once the curb is gone in the side right mirror and that mirror covers half of the other car's taillight, make a sharp left turn and then go into the space.

For one thing, I feel like these reference points will NOT work for everyone or every car, but that's beside the point. My issues are either my front bumper comes extremely close to the car's rear bumper when I'm pulling in, or I lose when to turn to the left and I end up hitting the curb. If you hit the curb at the real DMV test, it's an automatic fail. My state law is that you cannot be more than 12 inches away from the curb. I have tried and tried but I cannot figure this out. Any tips from you parallel parking gurus? :p