marybuko asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 years ago

How could a psychiatric nurse's son become a rapist/killer?

I watched a CBS 48 Hours Mystery segment "the Amber Dubois story." Amber was raped and killed by a CA registered sex offender John Gardner. In the segment, Amber's mother confronts John Gardner's mother who they said is a psychiatric nurse. Gardner's mother refused to speak with Amber's mother. Why didn't Gardner's psychiatric nurse mother have seen the signs in her son that could have prevented this tragedy from occurring? (Gardner also raped and killed Chelsea King.)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First off a nurse may have experience but isn't really qualified to make a diagnosis.

Plus a mother is way too emotionally close to her kids to make an objective assessment. Maternal love is absolute and can blind her to the truth. You may also have heard of denial? She may well have built up considerable barriers to facing the truth, hoping against hope it wasn't what she thought.

I'm sure she is going through plenty of shame, guilt and self blaming right now. That could be why she couldn't face the victim's mum, the shared pain could have been overwhelming

Source(s): Psychology Degree
  • 9 years ago

Mother's have a tendency to protect their children. They are also so close to the problem but distance them self in true disbelief. My mother was quite different She always said, don't swear for your own child. We are all independent and even with good parenting children can stray and become troubled individuals.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The Russians.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Being a psychiatric nurse takes up most of a person's time. She was probably so busy with work that she didn't have enough time to spend with him.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

A mixture of nurture and nature...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.