How accurate is X-Men First Class to the original comic book X-Men?

I am wondering if the movie is accurate to the original X-Men story? For instance does Mystique really live with Charles in his childhood and does she later join Magneto after the big stand-off on the island?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

X-men First Class isn't as "unauthentic" as everyone makes it out to be. There are a few errors, but again it is a 21st century movie trying to captivate an audience who like a perfect mixture of romance, comedy and action. The original comic books (starting in 1963) did not try to do exactly this, therefore there will be some manipulation and variation between the movies of today and the comics of the past.

Moreover, here are some of the discrepancies that I saw when I watched the movie:

1. The comment about Mystique is true; she never lived with Xavier and was way much older then he was.

2. Alex Summers (Havok) is Scott Summers (Cyclops) brother which, within the movie time-line do not make much since. Within the movie franchise, Xavier rescues Scott from Striker's mutant camp (Wolverine). Scott is suppose to be the older brother, but this connection is lost in the shuffle. Why wouldn't have any of the "original x-men" (whom really are Angel, Beast, Ice Man, Jean Grey and Scott Summers but were portrayed in the movie as Beast, Banshee, Havok and Mystique) told Scott that they had known his brother? Additionally, if the movies were correct (which they aren't as you can see) Xavier should have told Scott about his brother. In the comics, Alex and Scott were separated at birth and Scott didn't even know that he existed. A discrepancy, oh well.

3. Azazel would not have been willing or able to just stay in our dimension and work for Sebastian Shaw. In order to stay in our dimension, Azazel had to concieve a child with someone from our dimension. As you might already know, Azazel is the father of Nightcrawler, but Azazel molests/rapes Mystique to have him. This obviously wasn't in the movie, and probably will never be. But again, Azazel would not have been just hanging around on earth killing humans UNDER the command of someone else, this just isn't his character.

4.One major issue in the time line is that Charles and Xavier (as seen in X-Men: The Last Stand) went together to recruit Jean Grey. This was during a time when Xavier could walk and when Magneto and him had a decent repor. This makes no since if in First Class, they have not even recruited the actual original x-men.

5. Xavier DOES NOT become handicapped by a stray bullet deflected by Magneto. This whole scene was fabricated just to solve a question in the minds of those who don't know anything about the X-men comics. Although Xavier becomes healed and paraplegia multiple times within the comics, I will just briefly state how he initially lost the ability to walk: In a strange town near the Himalayas, Xavier encounters an alien calling himself Lucifer, the advance scout for an invasion by his race, and foils his plans. In retaliation, Lucifer drops a huge stone block on Xavier, crippling his legs and causing Xavier to be bound (for the time being) in a wheelchair. So, as you can see, it was not by a stray bullet.

6. Wolverines cameo, although a fan-favorite scene, did not ever happen.

These are only a few, but don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the movie AS A MOVIE! Although it didn't sync all that well with the comics, it still was riveting and worth a second, third and even fourth re-watch.

Source(s): A general knowledge of X-men comics
  • 9 years ago

Not accurate at all from the standpoint of the comics. It's a completely different telling.

Mystique didn't live with Charles Xavier as a child- that part makes no sense, even for continuity with the X-Men 1-3 movies. There was no hint of any prior relationship between Professor X and Mystique in those films.

Emma Frost is nowhere near as powerful a telepath as Charles- she's good but not in his league.

Havok is Cyclops' younger brother.

Hank McCoy (the beast) didn't become blue & furry until much later in his career. The X-Men were together for years before that transformation took place.

Magneto and Xavier were shown going together to recruit Jean Grey in X-Men 3, but the events of First Class make that impossible, since he was shown walking at the time.

Xavier didn't lose the use of his legs due to a bullet deflected by Magneto. He originally lost the use of his legs when a stone block was dropped upon them by Lucifer. He eventually recovered, only to become paraplegic when his spine was snapped in a psychic battle against the Shadow King.

X-Men: First Class was still a very enjoyable film, but it's kind of like the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie- completely different from the established history.

• Rob B
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I'm guess you asked again because I didn't answer in specifics. No Mystique never lived with Charles as a child. Mystique is actually way older than Charles in the comics. She probably about Wolverine age (over 100 years old).

Mystique is something like a mercenary in the comics. She has worked with and for both sides. She started off as a villain though.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Professor X Comic Book

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

I'm interested in the answer to this question too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.