Baby turtle wont eat and weird flakes are in tank ?

My sister had a big turtle in a tank with water but he hated how small it was and we got rid of him and got a small one. The turtle was born a few days before she got him and shes had him for maybe a month . the baby turtle wont eat and now his tank has white/clear flakes floating all around the tank . I took him out because the tank looked crazy to me. When I talked to my sister again she said to put him back in the tank and that he will eat the white/clear flakes..... he still hasn't eaten them and the tanks looking worse and worse. I'm worried about the turtle his back also has a white patch on it , i think that's where the flakes are coming from. What should I do about the flakes and about him not eating ?

Thank you all for your answers , I will let my sister know ! Lol the eating its shedding skin didn't sound right to me either

Favorite Answer

Hi there now don`t take this the wrong way but i am just wondering how big this little guy is.If he is only a month and a bit old he was far to young to be sold especialy to anyone but an expert on this little guy.He is how ever shedding he will shed like this for a while till he gets a lot older(not all the time but often).What you need to do is find an expert in your area and seek all the knowledge you can on hatchlings.They require a lot of looking after and they need uv lamps and basking areas .

Look i am not saying you know nothing but if you can`t tell he is shedding you have to ask yourself ......SHOULD /CAN I REALLY LOOK AFTER THIS LITTLE GUY PROPERLY

Try cleaning the tank and if the flakes keep showing ...you may need to take him to the vet. Turtles peel on their shells. That could be the flake problem.

And about him not eating... Try a diffrent food because he may not like it or the food could be for a diffrent type of turtle. Read the indgredints more carefully. If he countiues not eating take to a vet!

Source(s): Experince

It sounds like he's shedding, which means he won't eat the flakes. He's supposed to shed though, it just means he's growing. I'm not sure about the not eating thing, but I would suggest trying a different kind of food. Maybe even getting him a few feeder fish? My turtles loved them.

Clean the tank completely. And have you tried multiple turtle foods and brands? It will most likely find something it'll enjoy eating.

I have absolutley no idea what's wrong with him. But it sounds like something is seriously not right. Get him to a vet ASAP. Somethings wrong and they always no better than creepy people on the Internet(: good luck! I hope he gets better!