Baby turtle wont eat and weird flakes are in tank ?

My sister had a big turtle in a tank with water but he hated how small it was and we got rid of him and got a small one. The turtle was born a few days before she got him and shes had him for maybe a month . the baby turtle wont eat and now his tank has white/clear flakes floating all around the tank . I took him... show more My sister had a big turtle in a tank with water but he hated how small it was and we got rid of him and got a small one. The turtle was born a few days before she got him and shes had him for maybe a month . the baby turtle wont eat and now his tank has white/clear flakes floating all around the tank . I took him out because the tank looked crazy to me. When I talked to my sister again she said to put him back in the tank and that he will eat the white/clear flakes..... he still hasn't eaten them and the tanks looking worse and worse. I'm worried about the turtle his back also has a white patch on it , i think that's where the flakes are coming from. What should I do about the flakes and about him not eating ?
Update: Thank you all for your answers , I will let my sister know ! Lol the eating its shedding skin didn't sound right to me either